1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Repair Questions...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OffRoadPlow, Mar 13, 2003.

1. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Sorry for Book, just wanted to get the opinions of the group.

I started plowing again this year after a 6 year break from when I worked for a Lawn and snow. Most of the accounts we had for plowing we also did lawns as well so repair was no question and was added into the work we did for them. So now I am going it just for the plowing and wonder what some of you do for your non-lawn accounts. I have the obvious clauses for damage to cover me if I ever get a bill for it, but planned on doing the repairs when spring is finally here because I feel it's the professional thing to do...
    So my question is on the "one time" or "non-seasonal" accounts that called after snow was already high and no markers were in place. I usually walk it just to get the idea and ask the questions about hidden items, but I can guess a few of them are going to have the obvious need for repairs due to plowing. Would you bother with them, not worry about them, or just do what you do for all of them and bring the lawn back to what you would "think" was there before the winter hit? I have no worries about keeping the one timers, I don't need them, they were usually just ones that flagged me down when I was done with the route and if I had the time I did them, they were told in advance that some damage was possible and signed off that I would not be liable for anything. Just figured I would find out what most do who have no ties to get the account again, or want the account for lawn business or any other reason...

I have my thoughts, but wanted your thoughts. I think the professional thing to do would be to just touch them up and be done with it, but you may be able to sway my thoughts if I am being to nice...

Thanks in advance, just thinking about the next few months... :D
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The one-timers,and flag downs,I wouldn't touch unless I feel there is a possibility of them signing up for next year,and it was a profitable account to have.Sometimes a goodwill gesture like repairing the lawn,is enough to impress the customer,and they will become repeat business.Those "impressed" cutomers sometimes never forget stuff like that,and will be good customers for life.They may also own businesses,or provide other profitable leads.It's up to you,if you can get it repaired easy enough,and want to try and drum up some repeat customers,I'd go for it.

Also if I felt that "I" was at fault for the damage,I would replace the sod,no questions asked.
  3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We fix landscape scuffs at commercial properties where we have contracts and our residential customers that have the premiere service (shoveling and landscape repair). Standard residential plowing (the cheaper option) does not include landscape repair. This isn't to say that I won't fix something if we damage something outrageous. But little scuffs and dents are normal and we don't fix them for the "low end" customer - which is defined in the contract.

Flag downs are one time deals - they in my opinion should not get lawn repair unless you charged $75.00 for a $20 job for the potential risk of having to return.

I think landscape repair should be minimal, based on the contract and based on what you feel is appropriate. You just have to decide where to draw the line. Cars that run through areas of the lawn or jump curbs and round corners - do you repair these too?
  4. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Yeah, just the one timers, I guess I will just drive by them when spring gets here and get a look, it was only a couple of them. Nothing to extreme, just the bit of lawn at the top of the pile here and there.

Thanks for the input.... Just what I was thinking...