1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lawn customers called help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by racer56, Dec 16, 2007.

1. racer56

racer56 Junior Member
    from 5-6

We just moved into a new area and got a jump start on Spring with picking up some customers yet this year doing Fall clean ups. Well this morning after a 2-3" snow I got 3 calls from folks I did lawn work for this year(most just moved here like me). They wondered when I was coming to do the walks :dizzy:. I didn't have any idea they needed or wanted me to do so. I told one of them I don' even own a snow shovel,ha. After getting to think about it I called them back and told them I would get it done today or have it done.
    I'm insured as a general contractor so insurance should be fine but I guess I need some equipment. I used to plow for the city back in the daybut that was 15 or so years ago. I thought about this Toro 2450 or the smaller one(blows just out the front) just to do a few drives and walks. Will these hold up and last a few years? I need to have an idea of how long they would last to figure my costs just like everything else. 50lb. of salt cost me 12.00 so thought 2.5 times purchase price put down? 35.00 per drive and walk? They didn't even ask how much I charge which is good as I don't know :nod:.
    We are a lawn company but would like to have the income in the winter(moved from a warmer area). I don't want to sit by the phone "on call" for free though. I thought maybe 50.00 per month Dec.-Feb. in K.C. area for a on call fee then blow off drives at the 35/ time additional fee. Maybe I could just charge our standard monthly rate 12 months per year and call it good. This is what I really need help with. Anyway I guess I need a blower here very soon. Neighbor has several for sale I guess as he used to do some snow removal I guess so I should go see about a used one maybe until I have a clue about what I'm doing.

2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

First off where are you located at? That will help in determing what type of a snow blower you willl need. The 2450 is a good unit, but you will need to keep in mind that you probably cannot handle 12 inches of wet and heavy snow with it. How many drive ways do you plan on doing?

As for salt I would find another dealer if you are paying 12.00 per bag. Way to high for me. I charge by the pound but I don't doing it on any residentials. Normally they don't want the salt. But if the do it will be a set price and not by the pound for them.

3. racer56

racer56 Junior Member
    from 5-6

I subbed them out this time. I guess it is expected here for the lawn guys to do the res. customers they have. K.C. area with average snow fall 20" per year according to the net. Seems like I need to charge a monthly fee(50 for each winter month (dec-feb) per person to retain me then charge them to come out on top of that. This would keep the neighbor kid from doing it before I get there or something like that as I would already be paid at least the retainer. Does anyone else charge this way for res. or just pay as they go.

4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Just a thought,

I have a small 2 stroke single stage blower to do walks with---heres the rub,

I go with the storm so I clean out every 3-4"--no problems. The issue is when the town plow comes by and completely covers in the walk...depending on how wet the stuff is, the blower is either completely useless to clean that out or close to it. I only have one walk I do so its not a big deal, but if I had more than one I'd be looking at a bigger machine.

I don't know if a higher hp single stage would work well but for walks that aren't near the road even the small machines are great...near the rd tyou have to deal with the town trucks overflow.

5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Might want to look into the toro3650. Kramer has a good point on the town plow. Sometimes we can't even get through it. We get one path open and that's about it. Good luck.