1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Law regarding color of plow

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by kmamark2000, Nov 2, 2011.

1. kmamark2000

kmamark2000 Senior Member

I just bought a used plow and I would like to give it a fresh paint job to match the color and paint scheme of my truck. Is this legal? Are there any laws governing the color of plows?

I ask this because I have never seen a plow any color than yellow, red, or white.

My truck is blue and I want to paint my plow blue.

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

never heard of any such law. But I'm not from IN. Paint away!

3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

WELL YOURE IN LUCK! Yes the plow has to be a certain color, but lucky for you! theres 2 or three plow manufacturers that are blue, thats right! they have blue plows! one i believe is northerner plows, the other is herington, so you are in luck! just be sure to find a pic of these companies plows painted blue so if you get pulled over the cops cannot arrest you. its a 5 year prison sentence for having an unlawfully colored plow. no questions asked, huge safety risk they say. Sometimes the consider it a felony and you may be shot on site, act of terrorism and all.

You can paint your plow whatever color your heart desires. no rules against that. I would try to keep it a different color, just so the retards out driving notice it, if it were the same as your truck, they might miss the 1 ton piece of steel hanging in front of your truck because it might blend in a bit. just a thought.

4. kmamark2000

HOW FUNNY YOU ARE! Made me laugh a little.. My idea was to paint my plow to match my truck but I also will be putting flashers on the top of the plow also (when in use).

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Let us know how that works for you.

6. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

There is guy near where I live that painted his black. There have been a few times where we have come pretty close because from afar you couldn't tell he was 8'+ wide.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Put some reflector tape strips on the ends of the plow. Front, side, back.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We had a 9' fisher with a snowfoil on it we put yellow reflective across the foil. It looked huge going down the road

9. kmamark2000

I planned on putting reflective tape on it as well as lights on the plow itself. I will post pictures next week when I have it done.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Unless the lights are incredibly tough, and therefore expensive, they won't last long.

11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Especially on the back. Cover the back of it in reflective strips.......

12. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I would put 360degree strobes across the top of the plow so they can see you coming and going. If your going to paint it the same as the truck you want to make sure it sticks out. Or you could just mount one big beacon on the front of the hood!

13. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

My Hiniker Poly V is black, with red steel frame. Nobody hit me yet.

kevlars

14. kmamark2000

I have plenty of strobes and 360 lights on the truck.. No worries about anyone not seeing me. Last night my GF broke down on the highway so I came to help. A police officer showed up and commented on how my truck is better equipped with lights than his squad car.. :)

I also asked the office about the laws on plows in regards to the color. He informed me there are no laws on plow color. Just the color of the lights. One 360 Amber is a must and additional white lights are allowed. Absolutely no red, blue, green, or purple.

Therefore, I will be painting my plow to match my truck with reflective stripes and custom lights on the plow itself. It's going to be something no one has ever seen before.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer black on the back. But if it's a large plow, it doesn't hurt to run one strip at the very edge of the back.

16. kmamark2000

It's blue!!

I painted the plow blue and black with some reflective DOT strips. There is a picture posted in another thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=42969&page=181 as I promised. Its the Blue Dodge with Blue Plow.

17. PlowThisSnow

PlowThisSnow Junior Member

I love all the lights Kmamark!!!! I want to put a ton of lights on my truck too heheh...

18. kmamark2000

Thanks.. I'm not done. I have 6 more strobes in the garage yet to install and a couple more on order.

Also installed a 7" reverse camera with night vision.

19. PlowThisSnow

PlowThisSnow Junior Member

You'll have to post another video when you get all your lights on your tuck i'd like to check it out! Im thinking of getting a light bar for the roof of the cab and putting some hid's on there to help me see at night while plowing, i'll probably point two foward and two behind me to help while im in reverse. There are soooo many option's i thought about reverse lights that attach to my hitch too. Where's a good place to order the strobes?

20. kmamark2000

I ordered all my strobes from ebay or Galls. Be careful with ebay, many of the strobes are crap.