1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Laughable Christmas Storm Stories

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brother1, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Hey all - thought maybe I could add some humor here to lighten up the mood after the big Xmas Nor'easter. Thought this is a funny story and maybe some of you guys have some to share too.

I was out on Friday doing some cleanup work for customers and was about 3 pm and decided I needed ANOTHER cup of D & D coffee so I'm driving behind this big shopping center that is used as a shortcut from one road over to the Dunkin' Donut store. It's a real big lot and they don't plow the whole thing because no one ever parks in the back. Well I notice a car out in the middle of the snow covered lot and he's just spinning his tires like a madman but can't get anywhere. So I turn around figuring I gotta help this guy out - can't just leave him stuck there. I drive up to him and notice there are 2 young girls in the backseat and they are hysterical laughing. He rolls down the window and I ask him if he needs some help getting out and he says "I drove in here on purpose to show the girls what to do when you get stuck in the snow, but now I think I really got myself stuck". Well needless to say - in between my hysterical laughing - I plowed out a bunch of lanes to where the parking lot was bare pavement and he was able to get out. I'm sure the girls he was "teaching" learned a thing or two.

I'm sure some of you guys have run into people like this a few times.

:D

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Funny

For me it was but for him NO WAY:eek: -1999- I do this 1 lot that has 4 acres with only 2 light posts with BIG cement bases in the center of the lot, well as you can imagine he was spinning donughts & having a good time till he tried a slide & turn & put the cement base in to the center of the Mustang. It took 2 tow trucks to pull it from the base, & all he keep saying was it was his Christmas present & that his dad was going to KILL him.

3. neighborguy

neighborguy Junior Member

The company that I plow for used to do this mall parking lot and there was one area that the property owners did not want plowed due to the anchor store on that end being closed. We still had to plow the drive lane on that side of the building but not the parking aisles. We just filled in the entrances to this area with our wind rows. Every storm we would get a few morons that would think that they could just go throught the drift (2 feet plus some times!?!?!?). Of course they would get stuck and then try to get us to pull them out. Our company policy is help no one due to liability. Since we had to keep circling the mall, they would get more and more upset with us when we drove by.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I pulled into one of our lots about 3am and found a 6' tall snow man in the middle of the lot. I never had to plow a snowman before! LOL

FYI, I hit it slow with the plow up to knock it over first, as I didn't want it to fall on the hood of the truck! I was glad it was 3am, and there were no young kids around to see me running over Frosty The Snowman.

~Chuck

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Ahhh so your the son of a gun who ran over my snowman!! LOL Just kidding ya Chuck. Mike ;)

6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Santa works in mysterious ways....

I got a new shovel for Christmas. Not some cheapy snow shovel either--it's a long handled flat shovel, good quality.

I was driving down a hill in Pittsburgh, a pretty straight two lane road with no shoulders. There, in the right lane was a shovel. It was laying in line with the road, but out toward the center of my lane. I took a quick look in the rear veiw mirror and saw there was somebody about 100 yards behind me. Not worth stopping and risking an accident I decided, I'll just straddle it and keep on going. As I passed over it I heard a *CLUNK*. Oh, s***, I thought, it hit the plow mount. That guy behind me's going to have an accident anyway because I probably flipped it sideways in the road and here comes a car the other way. I slowed down and watched to see if it was still laying in the same spot. I slowed down a lot, and watched... It wasn't there at all!

I drove real slowly to the bottom of the hill and found a place to pull over. The shovel was lodged under the truck. The handle was stuck above the cross member that holds up the tranny and transfer case, just tucked right in beside them. It wasn't stuck hard, all I had to do was grab it and give a slight pull to get it out.

Anybody missing a shovel? :waving:

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Digger,
    I have the same story only its a traffic cone, and it comes from my local gas station that I plow LOL. They put 5 cones out over the fill caps and it seems like I always manage to take one away with me. Its funny to find a cone randomly in the next lot I plow & then realize I brought it with me. Its been hard to get them to understand that they don't need to do that anymore because I'm using U-edges that go right over them with no problems. When I plow it in the middle of the night I just remove the cones before we start.

This is a funny one but it didnt happen on this past Christmas storm. We only had one plowable snow last year & we had one earlier this December. Last year we pull into one of my lots & we pull around the last trailer into the last nook & cranny & lo & behold there's a cop SUV parked there. Before I could leave my pile & turn around to wave at him he takes off. The guy in my other truck (we had plowed our way in in tandem, him in front) pulls me over & yells "did you see that?" Nope. A girls head popped up from his lap as he was pulling away! So this year we plow our way into the same section of the same lot- yep you guessed it- this time a personal pick up with a girls head popping up as they pulled away. Happened to fast to see if it was the same cop or not. Nobody was there for our entertainment for the Christmas storm, but maybe the world's oldest profession also gets that day off?? :p

8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Partially my fault but funny none the less..

Plowing my larger apartment complex, some areas have landscaping rocks (Don't know where now:D )

Well I kept the travel lanes open all night and come back to do parking spaces and this college student with NY plates on his 2002 subaru outback wagon that mommy bought him is waving his arms at me.

"Hey a&&hole, there are rocks around here!"

"Where I said, I don't see any"

"Well I ran over one and got stuck"

"So you didn't see it either huh?"

"You need to be more carefull plowing"

"Hey you need to look where your driving"

Come to find out the maintainence guys forgot to move the rocks that they prop the gates open to trash dumpsters with. I had been playing shuffle board with them all day.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2002
  9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

A few years back I collected about a dozen cones off the Parkway thru Pittsburgh. They were doing maintenance work at nights in the tunnel nearest to downtown and used cones to close off one lane for the entire length of the tunnel. I picked them up off the shoulder as much as seven miles down the road. They were all worn in one spot or another, but almost all of them would still stand up on their own. Never picked one up that hadn't been there for less than a week. I figured that if it had been sitting there that long they weren't too interested in having it back.