1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Latest on Fuel surcharge for Mass Highway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Oshkosh, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Mass Highway says NO to Increase for fuel.

Hello,Massachusetts Highway says no to increase rate due to fuel cost for its contractors...Makes you want to go out and buy more trucks now doesnt it.... :gunsfiring:

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Im confused...What happened now?

3. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Me thinks what he's saying is that the state of Marxachusettes is not increasing the rate they pay thier independent plow contractors even though the price of diesel has gone up dramatically since last plow season. But I could be wrong....

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Oshkosh, Just bought a 2005 F-550 with intentions of plowing for Mass State Highway....Unfortunate on the negative rate increase.

6. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

If my recollection is correct, don't they take their sweet time paying also?

7. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Yup, I remember in the past that 8 months was common. I'll never understand why folks plow for the state. But then again I don't have to understand, to each his own I guess.

Roy

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Aahhh, Yaa, You Betcha..

9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Do some investigating with local towns. I plow for a local town, we have 3 routes that we have been doing for 12 years. Through being very dependable with them and not being bashful about asking for increases they have come up to the same rate as Mass Highway and the best part is never have to wait more than 30 days for $. The hours are a little less than what the "state" guys are getting but between getting paid regular and doing snow removal with them when they do helps to make up the difference in $. payup

Ask around and see if you can make a deal with a local municipality.

10. Oshkosh

Yes ,You Wait for a long time.

You are correct.
    My last season with my large trucks I received my check Oct 15th.It was a big check, but I had to borrow off of my invoices paying 15% on them to stay in business.The part that really hurt is my drivers are eatting steak and I am eatting macaroni and cheese.They dont call it blood money for nothing!!!!
    It is the same thing every year, they pay a couple of invoices till the end of Dec then you wait until summer if you are lucky.
    I used to keep one truck on with a local town just to have cash flow during the winter.They managed to pay me every two weeks???Figure that out?
    Between insurance, fuel,labor, registrations,etc... Once I added up my hours doing repairs keeping everything DOT legal it was cheaper to get rid of the equipment.
    You know what they say????Want to make a small fortune in trucking?????Invest a large fortune. :cry:
    Just my thoughts after running the big stuff for eight years.

11. Oshkosh

You could make money...

Hello,Nice truck,if you use it year round bank some money ahead of time you'll do fine.
    I have a buddy who bought a new F650 cat diesel, loaded with 6yd stainless spreader last season,Paid it off in four months.He doesnt remember much about last winter but his 05 is paid off.Not so bad.I ran a Case 1840 skid steer with a blower for Mass highway last season,did OK!Just need to plan ahead$$$.
    One thing, if you sand/salt guys will tell you you will ruin your truck, but if you get four or five seasons out of it(who cares) then sell it.You are way ahead of the game then.

12. Oshkosh

Just to give you guys what contractors are up against here in Massachusetts.

A negotiating Team comprised of memebrs of the Board Of Directors of the MSICA have met with senior level MassHighway officials at the Boston Headquarters in an attempt to negotiate and implement a fuel surcharge for the winter season '05-'06.

On Sept 15 your Fuel Surcharge Team (FST) delivered a proposal to MassHighway Officials. After several hours discussing the merrits of the fuel surcharge proposal we left Boston empty handed!

While both sides have agreed to additional meetings, the Board of Directors of the MSICA are extremely fearfull that history could repeat itself.

Remember the two consecutive letters all contractors recieved from the Highway Commissioner promising free Snow and Ice registrations the first year the new snow and ice plate was implemented?

OUR POINT: History has proven that MassHighway tends to be careless with the facts!

Our concern at this point is that MassHighway will be sending out contract documents any time now to your mailbax. Perhaps attached will ba a promiss to all contractors of a fuel surcharge tied to some sort of a fuel index.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

The Directors of the MSICA recommend that once recieved- no paper work is to be turned in to MassHighway personel unless you recieve notification from this Association that an agreement has been reached. Also:

Refuse to take GPS Equipment until notified by the MSICA that a deal has been reached.
    Refuse to sign a GPS handset agreement unless you are notified that a deal has been reached.
    Refuse to sign or submit any documents to MassHighway!
    Submission of any documents to MassHighway may bind you to the Department with or with out a fuel surcharge. Fuel costs have increased more than 33% since this time last year!

The only fair fuel surcharge is one that is tied directly to the National Fuel Index-New England Region. We must have an impartial organization such as the Energy Information Administration who publishes and adjusts the index weekly be the watchdog of any agreement we forge with MassHighway officials.

To agree to a fuel surcharge not tied to the National Index would not be fair to either the snow and ice contractors or the Taxpayers of the Commonwealth!

Watch your mail for additional information from this Association-

13. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Oaskosh, I wish you folks good luck. Also would suggest a press release to the media. Were it not for this board I wouldn't have heard of your problem with MHD. Given all the bad press they have recieved in the past few days in the Boston papers and reading that there may not be plows on the road might move them off the dime.

Roy

14. Oshkosh

If the public only understood.

The public would be horrified if they knew how poorly their tax money was Mishandled.
    My last season with Mass Highway I waited till Oct 15th for my check.My equipment went up for sale the next season.
    It used to cost me over $15,000 the first of the year with insurance,registrations etc then fuel jumped over $2.00 per gal......And for those A#@holes to hold our money just wasn't right. :waving:

15. TMELO72

TMELO72 Junior Member

"

How do I get on their (msica) mailing list?

16. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

One of the only benefits I ever saw to plowing for Mass Highway besides they paid the most was that you would get more hours per storm. They used to keep everybody till it was completely done snowing and they used to call out early. But in the last couple of years they have been only calling out some people from a group, knocking plows off early and letting the sanders fish up etc...... I have watched all the reasons my friends who plow for them used to justify waiting for the money dwindle away couple that with the fact they refuse to up the rate and I bet a lot of people will say :waving:

17. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I feel for you guys. What a bit__!!
    good luck to you.

18. Oshkosh

MSICA Website

This will take you there.

http://www.masnowfighters.com/

19. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

That is my point. Nobody will be horrified if they don't know about it. Thus a press release to the media and your reps at the state house. Here you are preaching to the choir

Roy

20. Oshkosh

I just couldnt wait for MY money.

The only reason I got out of it was that I couldnt wait six months for MY money :gunsfiring: .Think the IRS or the state for that matter waits when someone owes them $30,000-$80,000 on average???.
    Each pit is run differently,some bosses like small trucks some like the big iron.I've had guys who would send out five pickups with 8' blades thinking they where saving money, when two large wing trucks would do the same work for 20% less.
    Most of the guys running MassHighway now have never been out from behind their desk, never mind in a plow truck.Not like the old days when they all came up starting as laborers,mechanics etc..Used to be able to respect the guys who actually had been in a truck.Now they are just desk jockies without a clue for the most part.
    When I was running trucks both on the city and the state I would average 100% more hours on the state(Two of my trucks had sanders also).
    As long as Yuppies in their SUV's want to do 80mph in a snow storm the state has to keep the roads black and wet. The State gets sued otherwise when some jerk runs off the road because they hit ice....Get those jerks to slow down and the state would save a ton of money.
    I've been out where we have put down 700 tons of salt in a single storm in order to keep things black and wet.I've spoken with towns in New Hampshire where they use that amount all season. :dizzy:
    I have had people try and pass me on the right with my 11' front and my 11' wing down,rolling a four foot wave of snow to the right in the break down lane.It used to amaze me every storm how stupid the average driver was. I had strobes on my truck ,on the end of my wing,plus flood lights on the wing and sander and reflective tape.... :nono: Massholes I tell you.lol