1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Latest hare brained idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alan, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Well,, I just set up one of my plows with a urethane edge. In the process I had a couple pieces of urethane that I cut off the edge. I have the whole plow apart, sandblasted and painted it and ready to hook the moldboard to the A-frame again and I got this hot flash. Being a full trip blade it hammers something fierce when it returns to battery after tripping. So, I am trying a couple small block of urethane on some homegrown mounting pads to buffer the blade just before it hits the metal stops. Vince, I'll let you know how it works when I get to use it.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Your talking to someone, who is going to build a snowpusher this year. I am going to test it around the shop, this winter before i put it into full service.

Geoff

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Pusher should be easy

Doing a snowpusher oughta be a piece of cake, it's only plate fabrication with some reinforcing. As long as you have someone to bend the backplate for you it's strictly cut and weld.

4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I think I'm building a 10ft for my skidloader soon.Has anyone tried a pusher on a truck like avalance shows in their ads?

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Alan, i got a hair brained idea today, that has beat yours by far.

I saw a late 70s, (78 or 79), spartan fire truck chassis. It used to be a ladder truck, with two rear axels, and a 5 man cab, well it is for sale, with out the ladder. 70,000 miles, new exhaust, springs, bearings, ect. I guess the fire department had major problems with the ladder opperations. The thing about this truck is it's total weight was 70K, the ladder and body weighed i think 40K the guy said.

My hair brained idea, was trying to find the biggest v-box out there, and mounting it on the 25+- feet of frame rail. You could carry plenty of sand/salt, with out overloading the beast thats for sure. I am waiting on a price on the truck, i am trying to think of a use for the thing, if its cheap.

Geoff

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Why bother? With that long frame it would be a beast to maneuver and you're not going to carry any more than a reasonable length tandem chassis anyhow.

7. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Geoff I have also had some weird Ideas for fire trucks.You can buy these older oshkosh airport fire trucks that are tankers with four wheel drive,I thought put a 20ft plow on one and the use the tank to hold your brine.The brine would give weight to push the plow then when done plowing the brine could be applied.Might be a little heavy but an airport runway ought to handle it.

8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Yup.... snowplowers are dreamers.......

But, that's good.

You can make a nice 10 ft snowpusher out of a junk plow. As long as the moldboard is sound it's fairly easy to build. $400 (prox) in material will do it, as long as you know how to weld.