1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Latest Addition to our fleet 2006 980H Cat Loader

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by kcress31, Sep 16, 2010.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here are a few pictures of our new to us loader we just purchased. I have been running for 2 days now and I am getting spoiled. It is a 2006 980H with 3180 hrs on it. It has a 7 cu yd bucket, ride control, Sat radio, a half steering with with Forward and reverse and gear selaction on on one handle on the wheel. I will post more pics of the inside soon. We are putting to work at a local gold mine for the next 3 - 4 weeks. I am having some thoughts of putting a pusher on it later.

cat 980loader01 015.jpg

cat 980loader01 016.jpg

cat 980loader01 017.jpg

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That's big and cool

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Awesome machine, I still dream of having a machine like that for snow. Congrats, your doing something right over there!

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

"Macks, Cats, and Cadillac's.... Only the best!" Awsome loader!

5. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Thanks Guys. Here are some more pics of it in action.

cat 980loader01 018.jpg

cat 980loader01 019.jpg

cat 980loader01 021.jpg

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That is a big a$$ loader. I don't know much about pushers, but isn't that loader a little big for a pusher?

7. patlalandebutt

patlalandebutt Senior Member

thats small...............................

8. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

I know last winter a cat 980 was ran at the local spartan distribution center with i think a 16' blade. Never got to see it in action though.

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

would running a loader that big damage a parking lot if you have to plow early before the ground is frozen, or get a late snow after the ground has thawed?

10. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Good looking machine. I love the half steering with the trans controls on the wheel.
    A little big for snow work lol.
    Robert

11. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I have to agree it is a little big for snow work. I was thinking that I could throw a pusher on it so it won't sit all winter and only use it on our big parking lots. As far as damaging the lots as long as I don't hit a curb or something I will be OK. Here are a few more pics of the cab.

cat 980loader01 022.jpg

cat 980loader01 023.jpg

cat 980loader01 024.jpg

12. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Thats a nice loader, the steering seems to take some getting used to when going down the road at full speed for some guys anyway (speaking from experience not me but some monkeys that help me) but nice machine I love the option of rolling into the pile and hit a button on the wheel to drop a gear then get your bucket full and hit it again and your back in hi gear, as far as plowing its a touch big but throw a 24-30 footer on her and you can really roll in the big areas, great for stacking piles as well, I would put a good experienced operator in that one as the potential for damage is a little higher lol! Do you mind telling me what you paid?

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice loader, congrats!! I've never seen a half steering wheel before, I must be out of the loop.

14. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice machine... Don't know about a pusher. I've watched a excavation company in Milwaukee use a L350 Volvo with spade bucket do load outs and push up piles.
    I'd just shine it up and put in in the shed for winter. Look at how many guys shine stuff and store it during summer.

15. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Sweet loader, I always wanted to try the half wheel and the two joystick controls....seems like it would take some getting used to. I think i would perfer the single joystick for the bucket/arm operation.

16. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I thought ours was a good sized machine......I guess I got a little reality check here.....

17. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

That is a big one. nice machine!

18. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Awesome machine, i wonder what the production rate in snow removal would be with lets say a 20ft+ pusher on that, doing Parking lots in minutes, not hours. Did you ever buy the 988 you were talking about last year (i hope you were the guy that was talking about that)

19. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Not to start up an old disscussion again but do you think you could load a tri axel faster then one of Niege';s snowblowers???:laughing:

20. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The 980H is a very nice loader, but what else would you expect from Caterpillar. They often get it right.

We have two 980H loaders at work with spade buckets feeding rock crushers. Very comfortable but don't seem to have as much power as our 980G loaders when digging in hard rock.