1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Late, Late, Late!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about you guys but I submitted about 8 commercial bids and I called last week to follow up on the bids I mailed about a month ago. They all called me asking me to put in a bid so I did and still no definete yes or no. The one account if I were to get it would need about 1,500lbs of salt every time. We only use bagged salt so that a lot of salt. Suppliers ran out last year in the last week of March and did not order any more and I was stuck buying it from Lowe's at $3.00 more a bag and 30lbs less per bag. I guess my question is do commercial accounts usually take this long? I have already signed a couple but they were in the first week of October. I just don't remember them taking so long compared to last season.
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Still waiting on most of ours even with possible slushy snow for sat morning most are saying second week in nov.:realmad:
  3. JTW

JTW Senior Member

Wow... that is kinda late. Heck, we are ready have contracts signed for mowing bids for next spring lol
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm just now getting calls for snowplowing bids.

One today was a bank I do, the owner of his bank wants his driveway plowed, previous guy just called and said he quit.

Other was a church, thought they got screwed last year with only having to plow about 20" of snow, the contractor still brought in a front end loader to move snow because he left a big pile right in the middle of the lot. He then proceeded to charge the church for moving the snow.

I also have 2 other accounts that haven't given the yay or nay.

Billing starts on Tuesday, so ...... we'll see.
  5. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I still have people waiting on bids too. A lot of them got a move on today when the saw snow start falling, Got 2 calls with anwsers, but cmon people what takes so long to say okay? It will be funny when the route fills up and then they are lookin for someone last minute.
  6. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

I"ve got about 30 still out. I've called everyone of them 3 times since I put them out.
  7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We still have about half of our clients that we are still waiting on. This year payment looks to be slowwwwwwww... :angry:
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Try this. it has changed the way I do my contracts. about 10 years ago I sent out my perposals to all the clients I had been doing business with for the previous year. in it it stated that some of my customers wanted a longer term contract then 1 year. ( that I made up) So to show my apreation I would offer a discount if they signed a longer contract.
    I offer a 1 year aggrement which gives a 2% discount if I am paid within 10 days of billing,
    I also offer a 3 year aggrement with a 5% discount if I am paid within 10 days of billing.
    or a 5 year aggrement with a 10% discount if paid within 10 days of billing.
    90% of my coustmers have signed the 5 year aggrement. First time customers uasualy sign a 1 year till I have proven my reliabilty then they go for the 5 yrae. I have a few condo's that will only sing up for 3 years because that is when they vote in new managers.
    So every year I have about 60% carry over from previous years. and I have gained a reputation from these customers that has spread to others. which I put on a waiting list incase I should loose a long turm customer.
    I never have to worry when fall comes because I already have all the work sowed up. By the way my pricing also has a claws for fuel increese. and prices are highenough to make good money even with the discounts. Notice this is also an incentive for the customer to pay on time or loose the discount.