1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Late Fees

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by CMU07, Nov 5, 2009.

1. CMU07

CMU07 Member

Did a quick search and didn't come up with much.
    The other day I was reading a thread about slow payers, USM I believe. Now I would assume they can't be charged a late fee, but with anything else you're (a general term for whoever may be complaining at the time) providing the contract, late fees are money makers. I have had very little probelm with late fee/NSF fees. It might be my clientele, but...

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You can charge a late fee once they go past their terms....doesn't mean you're going to collect it.

Most will not pay a late fee.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

TCLA is spot on. Only thing I'll add is that most states have restrictions on late fees, last I checked in MN it amounts to 1.5% per month. Make sure you know what the laws are in your state.

As TCLA said, most won't pay late fees anyway, especially larger companies and management companies. Only time I've been able to collect late fees is from a residential customer that kept blowing us off until I brought out the 'ol attorney's collection letters and court threats. Didn't care either as I dropped that customer like a hot potato. I don't push the issue with larger clients as I won't jeopardize a good money making account over a $20 late fee.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

True, but you are allowed to charge a rebilling fee. :D ;)

I did\have collect(ed) some rebilling fees as well as late fees.

I waived quite a few if they'd agree so just send the money they owed.

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

it is important to have a latefee/interest charged fee, in all contracts, if for no other reason then you can collect more from them when you sue them, if they sign the contract and know they are going to be charged a interest fee for late payment, and they lose in court, the court is likely to give you the amount

6. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have/had a customer that only sends $50 or $100 at a time on a bill from 07/08. I have a $45 a month late charge on all invoices over 60 days late. The bill now is for a little over $1000, at this rate it will be 2 more years before it's paid off. :laughing:

Bossman

7. RedCastle

RedCastle Junior Member

i do the same thing over x amount of days past do you get charged x amount and it keeps adding up. I dropped a customer and the bill w/fees is close to $3600 most of it is in fees. So just might be laywer time...

8. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Fees

We charge 3% late fees, only folks that ***** and don't pay are the lawyers we service.... go figure...

45 days late your gone..... never to be serviced again

Only had to dump 2 customers in 8 years.... they learn fast

Al