1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Late Fees

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snow_man_48045, Jan 23, 2003.

1. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

What % do most of you charge for late balances due, for the forgetful customers that don't like to pay there bill on time? I was thinking of 10%. Is this too high or low? Your inputs would be great! Thanks for all the help, and keep thoughs good threads coming!!payup :waving:

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I believe in some states there is a law with a max.,only a couple % i think,don't quote me on that but a local contractor in NY told me that.

3. nben

nben Senior Member

Limited to something like 18% annually here in Maine. But if you call it a service charge and not a late fee you aren't as restricted.

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I would charge 10%-15% for a late fee.

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

States set what they call "Usery" (sp) rates, which is the highest rate of interest that can be charged. Some states it's as high as 30+%. Here in CT it's 18%, and most people have it worded on their invoices such as , 1.5% per month (- which multiplied by 12 months is 18%), or stated as 18% per annum.
    You can contact your state Banking Commissioner for the usery rate in your state.

-John

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

My contract states that they must have their 2nd payment in by Jan. 15th. or plowing will cease. I send out reminders around dec. 15th. So now they know twice that they owe on Jan. 15th.

If i do not get paid by the 15th i don't plow their drive. Then they call and ask why they didn't get plowed and i tell them. They are always saying i'm sorry and we have the check right here,,please come pick it up.

I tried adding late fees to my lawn cust. and most of them only sent in the orignial amount before the late fee.So i like this method better.

7. drobson

drobson Senior Member

So far I have not had the need to think about late fees, but I notice a trend with payments being a little later every time with some customers. It is not to a point that I need to charge a fee, but I think it will get that way at some point in the future. This post has me thinking about setting up something on each invoice with a late fee schedule so that it may deter some customers from becoming offenders. I would rather have them pay on time and not have to charge a late fee. No matter how much I charge them, it will still be better for me to just have the payment on time. I also like the idea of suspending service for past due accounts. I will most likely add that into my late fee schedule.

8. snow_man_48045

Are they residential customers?

I only have residential customers and in my contract it states "terms 30 days from date of service, after 30 days a $10.00 late fee will be added per service".

I know each state has limits on percentages that can be charged for interest, but LATE FEES are different. A house mortage of say 8% is included in your house payment, but if your payment is late, a Late Fee is added.

I am going to make a re-assuring call to my CPA to make sure about Late Fee limits.

Hope it helps. Bob V