1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

late 90s explorer mount a plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bran1har, Feb 12, 2016.

1. bran1har

bran1har Junior Member
    from CT

I have a good deal from a friend on a late 90s ford explorer, I was thinking it would make a great plow rig to add to the fleet. I think it would be up to the job, I've had a blazer of about the same vintage and it kicked ass with a 6.5ft fisher, no problems, transmission or t case, can anyone say they've had a bad experience with one of these rigs? Im mainly concerned with the transfer case/ transmission being up to the job. Its a v6 with selectable 4wd, not the awd model. I want to do the same setup a 6.5ft blade. Any input would be appreciated.
  2. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

I Had a 98 Mazda B4000 Which Really Is a Ranger and Put a MM1 6.5 On It !! I Modified Old Ranger Mounts To Work As Fisher Didnt Make Any !! Was My Sidwalk Truck And Did AWESOME Thats It Actually On My Signature PIC
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Had a Snowdogg on a Mountaineer. Think it was an 01. Put Snowdogg MD75 on it. It could move snow! Full time AWD. I have a snowdogg MD mount for it if your interested. Moved Dogg over to my Ram.
  4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

They do not call them exploders for nothing. It got its name from blowing up transmissions. If you do this without going through the trans and "bullet" proofing it, expect a down exploder. Also check the back of the rear spring perches, they rot out all the way. Good luck.
  5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I thought it was from blowing up tires and killing the occupants?
  6. bran1har

bran1har Junior Member
    from CT

The main concern i guess would be the 5r55e transmission. Does anyone know what modifications should be done to handle snowlplowing?
  7. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Timbrens on the front is all I did to the Mountaneer. (I think) and I went with the lightest 7 1/2' plow I could get which ended up being the Snowdogg...

Plus ballast but no where near what I put in the RAM.