1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Latch pin etc

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by mehaw1, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mehaw1

mehaw1 Junior Member

I purchased a used 810 this year for my 2500, and was given the latch pin that wasn't installed and previous owner didn't know what it was for. From what I gather, it is for short chaining in event of hydraulic failure but am not 100% sure. Also, I wasn't satisfied with lift height of only 9", and I noticed that with pin in I gained 3" of lift, but the latch fingers don't pull up tight behind push beam. I gained another 3" by welding in 5/16 plate under push beam to get a total of 15" lift off the ground which works quite well now. I just need some clarification on whether the pin is always supposed to be in or ???

I also replaced cutting edges and blasted/painted mouldboard before using plow. The wing edges seem to wear fast at the edge -- I do scoop and windrow with wings forward alot, so that probably has a lot to do with it. I cut up the old main cutting edge and doubled up wings so hopefully that will help prolong edges.

Overall very good plow as far as efficiency and function-big improvement over straight blade. Lights could stand to be better as I am constantly reaiming/tightening bolts. Probably will switch to western lights at some point, but they work for now.

Dmaxwblizzard.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Wingcuttingedge.jpg

Latchpin plowside.jpg

2. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I believe that pin is used to draw the plow into the truck. Looking at the last pictures, the pin should be through that hole, then you can move the draw latch down and the plow will pull into the truck. It is not necessary, you just need to make sure the plow frame pulls all the way onto the truck. I'll see if i've got a picture of it.

We also welded carbide edge guards from Winter. So far they have been great. The doubled up wing edge should greatly improve your wear though.

3. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Maybe someone else can chime in, but i'm not sure why the pin in or out would affect lift height. But here is how it should look...

[​IMG]

Here are the carbide edges we use. They are called PlowGuard®-Xtendor (http://www.winterequipment.com/ProductLine/plowcurbguards.htm). They must be welded onto blizzards.

[​IMG]

4. mehaw1

mehaw1 Junior Member

Actually the pin is installed right now-but with installed the 'fingers' don't pull tight behind the push beam when installing plow to truck.. It isn't much of an issue after plow is on, but if you don't get right up tight driving into plow it takes a bit of wrestling to get tight and get pins in.

Also it does lift 3" higher with pin in, so I don't think I'll be taking it out just to ease mounting plow. I was just wondering whether it is supposed to be in or not.

5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

How tight is the bolt on the fingers?

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Second the Xtendors!!!! The other thing you can do for height is cut alittle bit of the stops on the truck frame, I'll take a pic of mine later maybe.

7. mehaw1

mehaw1 Junior Member

I've tried adjusting the bolt and I guess you would say it is snug but not tight. If it gets tightened any more than what it is, it doesn't want to pull the latch fingers forward at all. If I have it any looser, I have found that sometimes when in float-then lifting the latch fingers folded forward under pushbeam. This was however when the pin wasn't installed, so maybe it wouldn't do that now-not sure.

Right now the plow lifts right to the stops and would be hitting the bumper if it could go any higher. Lift height isn't really a problem any more with the plate welded in.