1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Last year, last year, ALL I hear....!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turf Commando, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Every time I get called to give an estimate, get the same response last guy charged me (example) $20 I'm not that guy.
    Anyone else experiencing this let's keep the price the same mentality .....?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Reply ,why didn't you stay with him then?

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactally right grandview!!
    Most people forget to turn the old mental calander especially when it comes to money.

4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I have an area with estate homes and keep hearing about how great Peter was and how his price was lower...Uh, he obviously gave up and I'm not his buddy and won't lower my price because he was lower...people are silly sometimes.

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Turned down one account woman lives on private drive, shared with neighbors and expected it plowed with her drive way included for $25 (last seasons price) ...:rolleyes:
    Couldn't imagine what company or lowballer would even attempt to plow at those rates....
    I've finally learned in this business (2 years and going) prices are not negotiable take it or leave it....

6. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I am a strong believer in adjusting for the times... Start a new pricing structure for those that complain about prices.
    I call it the "Good, Cheap, or Fast" plan. They have three options for service, yet can only pick two of them. For example, if they want it good and cheap, it will not be fast (Whenever you got time or right before next snowstorm). Fast and good definately will not be cheap. You get the idea..lol.

Matt

7. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I got this from customers I had last year when I advised them of price increase !!!! They were happy to pay the newly increased price as they know I will be there and am still around year after year !!!!! Seems every tom dick and harry or person without a job went out and purchased a plow truck and is doing the one hit wonder !! Cant wait till next year I know I will hear more of it like Turf Commando is saying as we are very close to each other..

Thanks for the call the other day also Sorry I couldnt get it but glad my buddy could help ya out !!!

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If lasts years guy was so good they should have never left him, maybe they weren't that good.Chance's are if they got it real cheap it might have been from a part-timer or a newbie.

9. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

I got a call for an estimate the drive was 100 ft long and he told me he would give me 15 bucks. Thats what he said he gave the guy that plowed it before. I told him I wouldn't drop my blade for less than 25. They guy that plowed it last time must have been the one who ran the ad in the paper "15% off anyone's estimates because you deserve it. And ask about our friends and family discounts." What a joke.

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

did you get it ?

11. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

no he said he;'d get back with me .never did .haven't had any snow since either though

12. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

3 winters ago i had a guy stop me and want me to do his lot, i go over take a look at it tell him 150.00 his response was my last guy was 80.00. well where is he then? his response was he did ****** work and never showed. and we signed him up

13. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I just give people my lowest price to begin with. If they want to haggle about it, I just take it as a sign of how they will be in the future and tell them I cant go any lower, I cant help what Jim Bob from down the road was charging. He is not me. They would probly complain about everything anyways and I dont need them that bad.

14. Stoneheadmtn

Stoneheadmtn Member

Good, Fast, or Cheap

"I am a strong believer in adjusting for the times... Start a new pricing structure for those that complain about prices.
    I call it the "Good, Cheap, or Fast" plan. They have three options for service, yet can only pick two of them. For example, if they want it good and cheap, it will not be fast (Whenever you got time or right before next snowstorm). Fast and good definately will not be cheap. You get the idea..lol."

That's classic! I added one account late and heard the "last guy" chirping from them. IT Was Snowing while the office manager was negotiating. So I gave them the professional service / cost structure / reliability / email and got the contract for what it should pay. Most professional people understand what you go through to keep them cleaned up 24/7 and what thats worth. They'll also use whatever negotiating tactics they've learned to try to reduce their costs, and I don't blame them.. Just remember, its a negotiation, if you can show them why you are worth what you're charging you'll probably getr it.

15. wmik55

wmik55 Junior Member

i always tell people the same thing when they tell me how cheap their last plow guy was.the reason he isn't plowing this year is he didn't charge enough to keep his equipment in running condition.when his plow broke and needed repair he couldn't afford to fix it. he also couldn't buy fuel because he never figured the other costs that would arise. he probably did not have proper insurance because he could not afford it. as our winters around here have become more snowy everyone with a four wheel drive truck wants to get in on plowing biz. problem is it's harder then they think. they have no clue what their costs are, or they wouldn't plow for $25 and $30 an hour. worse than all the rest of this is they're usually not very good at it either. they don't get that the day of the week or the time of day or night doesn't matter, you go and plow!

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

When I am giving an estimate for $35 and I hear "Last year I only paid $25" I know I will get a new customer.

I ask "Why are you looking for a new plower?"

Customer says "sometimes he never showed up" OR "he tor up the lawn"

I change the subject for a minute Then I sigh, and say OK I'll do it for $25.

He says "great"
    Then I say "of course, for $25 I wont show up ether"

Never had it fail, I get the customer at $35

17. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know how you guys deal with plowing driveways for homeowners? The money must be good to put up with all that aggravation! I have always done commercial snow, i myself would retire from the snow business before i would plow municipal or residential.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  18. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Dont take it personel and keep to your prices. I have had the same but stuck with my price and the ones that signed cant compliment me enough. My seasonal rate was $35-$55 more than they paid last year. If you want to feel better I had a customer in a motor home park call and asked if I could do her and 7 neighbors for $100 each for the season. Then she tells me she figured out the guy last year made $4 per plow. I wonder why he is not answering there phone calls.lol

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's clever! I'd like to say that, but I probably wouldn't.:D

20. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I only had 16K budgeted for this winter, my bill for december is 10,100. This cant be right. Oh no, well you agreed to $230 for plowing $240 for salting and $600 for the walks, who came up with your 16k budget?