1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Last Request for Help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by marjamr, Oct 18, 2009.

1. marjamr

marjamr Junior Member

How difficult is it to remove and replace a motor on an UltraMount FloStat hydraulic unit? I messed up the motor and need to remove it to see if I can fix it and then reinstall it. I am concerned about doing more damage to the motor or the hydraullic unit if I try to remove the motor. The plow is on my truck in my garage. How about some help.
  2. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Your big mistake might just be a very minor one so don't freak out just yet. I don't want to give you bad advice on how to fix it because I'm not 100% sure. Some one that knows 100% should be around sooner or later sooo ...

If worse comes to worse bring it back into your dealer. They should be able to fix it.
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Not hard , disconnect power and ground and remove 2 bolts from top of motor, might have to give the motor a jiggle. Just make sure you index the spline on the bottom of the motor to the pump shaft when you put it back on.
  5. marjamr

marjamr Junior Member

Thanks for your responses. I decided to take the bull by the horns or the plow by the ram rods so to speak before I received any of your responses. I went out this afternoon and started to remove bolts. I got the top to the motor off but had to drop the while hydraulic unit to get the cover off the top of the manifold. The copper coil part of the motor remained attached to the manifold. I repaired my mistake(as outlined in my posts below) and put the motor cover and it's contents back on the manifold. All seems to be working well. Not really a very hard job but there is a dearth of information about the mechanics of these small jobs online. I had checked Western's site and all of their online publications but didn't see anything that applied to my questions. I searched here and elsewhere on the web but didn't find any useful information. I did find the illustration that Johnny U posted above but it didn't exactly apply although I think it should have. My plow is an Ultra Mount Midweight and the crossbar on the lifting frame prevented the motor from simply lifting off after unbolting it. An extra set of hands would have been really useful. in any event, it's done now. Thanks again for the responses.:nod: