1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Last minute calls

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jonw440, Dec 6, 2003.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Yesterday I had 7 people want their driveways plowed. (Big storm today). Why don't they call sooner?I have only had a hand stenciled sign out front for about a month. Now I cant look at the driveway w/o seeing uncovered ground.
    Just had to vent!!:realmad:
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I'd do them only if they are willing to wait untill all your regular customers are done, and pay the "late season" fee.payup
  3. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Its innevitable, there will always be people that procrastinate and are late for everything. These are the people you straight up take advantage of and charge them for their own laziness. Capitalize on these opportunities, I konw I do. The thing is, these people usually are ok with late fees, since they know they are guilty of procrastinating and are desperate by that point.
  4. Rappa

Rappa Member

I love those phone calls. I got about 15 of them yesterday. CHA-CHANG!!! The price doubles for those people and they usually pay it...
  5. North Country

North Country Senior Member

24 Hour Dispatch Number

We advertise a 24/ hr dispatch # - to attract that very same business and anyone who is not on the route that wants service is encouraged to call every storm. If we happen to be running behind, it is not a 'must' to do these 'extra' properties, and it drums up quite a bit of commercial work where, their guy didn't show, sloppy job, breakdowns and business' who never signed for the season.

Our dispatch receives a call then she determines the property location and the truck locations, clicks a driver - If he has the time he will drive over and do it, if not she will click the next closest.

I believe we did 13 dispatch calls last storm and one was a $3k commercial billing for the one storm (We ended up signing them for the season).