1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Last Minute Bids

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mean4x4, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

I just placed a bid, and wanted you guys to give your opinion on my pricing.
    It's a Condo Complex with 7 units. There are 119 drives, that 15 feet deep. Each one of these is to be backdragged into the street and then the street is to be plowed. I charged 8.50 per drive
    1011.50 for all 119 units. + 475.00 to do all the roads in the condo complex ( 1.2 miles 3 cars wide) I also determined around 5-6 tons of salt at 90/ton
    There is about 3/4 mile of sidewalks
    I figured with all the sidewalks, + all the porches + stairways and walkways I charged. 1130.00 including 1 pallet of calcim chloride.
    The grand total for an average snowfall 2-6 inches 2,846.00
    Does this sound right to you?

2. Santo

Santo Banned

Are you subbing?

Sound a little light for Philly rates.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Seems about right. That's $395 per mile of road (seems high to me, but then $8.50 seems low and the road is wider than I'm used to). Can't speak to the sidewalks etc.

I'd get a back blade for that many 15' drives. Do you have a provision for stacking and hauling as needed?

I would think that's about twice as much salt as you'll need. You said the road is 1.2 miles and 3 car lengths (15'?). That's 95,040 sq ft which I think you take about 2 - 2.5 cu yd plus maybe 1/3 yd for the driveways.

That's just quick figuring, so maybe I'm way off.

4. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

nope

The drives don't get salted, just the roads. But I like to assume the worst. This way, if the price of salt goes up.. AGAIN, I won't have to eat it like last year. I had another guy doing my salting, and this year, I bought my own equipment. I hate how no matter how reasonable I bid, There's always a low blower (the guy they fire 1/2 way through the season, because he never shows up)

5. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

no subbing

I have 4 guys who worked for me the past 3 years. all have new trucks and plows, all dependable. I pay them well, So I don't hire outside of my normal guys.

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Multiply your per ton salt price by 1.5-2X what it is and it will be about fair market value, as well. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003