1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Last Minute Bidders

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Scottscape, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Well anyway I like reading these stories of property managers jerkin ppl around on bids, so I've not that recently just came up. Last week I bid on some storage unit locations (4). Prices for plowing and salting. The first one she said looked good and I got the contract for that one and she wanted the my insurance info. and said she would send me there contract. GREAT. well I bid on the other 3 locations and I come to find out that a GM of one of the locations boyfriend/husband took care of them last year.. anyway, so i bid on the other 3 and gave the DM the prices she said they looked good. Now her story has changed "shes got 3 bids and her computer crashed yesterday and lost 60hrs of work" well she was suppose to call yesterday, i called her this morning to touch base. gives me "well im probably now gonna lock all 4 locations together yada yada" basically telling me that her word for i got the contract for the first location doesnt apply now. Unprofessinal. I know alot of us has been through something like this but I could use alittle advice instead of wasting my time on this account and go get others
  2. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Also she had me last week send her my insurance information and list there company as additionally insured.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd just wait and see how this plays out. Hopefully, you put an expiration date on your bid. No need to contact her anymore - the ball is in her court. If you get it/them, good. If not, that's business. If you don't, be sure to contact your insurance company to take them off as additional insured. I wouldn't list them anyway, until I had the contract signed. You can send them the front page with the bid as evidence of current coverage, but with the provision they can contact the agent to hear that their location would be covered by this policy. Also, you might contact your agent for procedures to have them listed as additional insured without having it done until you have the contract.
  4. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

yeah just kind of ticks me off that she had asked for me to take the time to additionally insure them send her the info. then pulls this crap. shes got another week to let me know, but then she was in a rush to get everything taken care of but as you said thats business. Im thinking shes probably gonna wait till the last minute when it snows like half of the people that I plow for then call me and think its gonna be the same price. I run onto that alot
  5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I just wanted to update this situation. for some of you may not know the former plow company for the previous year is one of the locations general managers boyfriend. ive said it once and ill say it again heres when mixing biz with pleasure comes in. read the emails from bottom to top

Scott: I am sorry for any miscommunication. I do want to keep all four Columbus Properties under one contract for the 2006/07 Season. I have decided to remain with the previous snow removal company for this year as the area is new to me and they already know the properties. I will , of course, rebid them again next year.

If you would like to submit an invoice to me for the $25 please send it to:

Attn: Monica xxxxxxx

xx West Streetsboro Street xxxxxx, ohio

Please be sure to include a W-9 form so we can set you up in our system.

Monica xxxxxxxxxx

District Manager

Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 3:16 PM
    To: xxxx xxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: FW: xxxx x xxxxxx Snowplowing

Thank you for giving us the oppertunity to bid on the Columbus locations for Snow and Ice removal. However I have not received any contractual information regarding the Snow & Ice removal for the xxxxxxxxx location as promised over the phone after providing proof of snow plowing insurance and listing the location as being additionally insured. The last time that we had spoke you mentioned that you were going to "Lock" all 4 Columbus locations together, which then I did not understand because you had previously promised the xxxxxx location to my company to me over the phone. My dilemma is that there is a $25.00 fee for x xxxx xxxx xxxx being additionally insured through my insurance company. If you would please forward contractual information via email or mail or contact me.

Thank you

Scott xxxxx

Scottscape Maintenance

(614) xxx-xxxx
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Scott, chalk it up to a learning experience, bill her for $25 and move on. Consider it a cheap lesson. Things like that tick you off, but you get used to them. Realize that it's "just business". You'll be way ahead to look for the next opportunity rather than dwelling on one that went sour.
  7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

keeping old contractor honest

This is just the old trick of keeping the old contractor honest. This happens all the time. You never know if you are able to get the job, you will never know till it is to late if the old contractor had right of last refusal.

We just bid as we normally do. What the prospective customer does we have no control over. I think I would not send out a letter of insurance until I had a signed contract. Do nothing more than you have to do until you have the contract signed.

8. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Our insurance agent does not bill for putting on an additional insured. In fact, in 20 some years of contracting and plowing, I've never been charged.

Anyway: I had 2 similar experiences recently.
    First of all, here in Toronto, Canada, most snowplowing work is billed seasonally, with salting included in the price.
    Second: I don't do residential any more.
    I bid one location (actually, I've bid it about 10 times over the last 15 years, but never got it).
    This year, they sent me a RFQ which made no mention of hand shoveling.
    I sent them a price, and a week or two later "Sarah" called to give me the job. Apparently, they were very "dissapointed" in last year's guy. His performance was apparently "dismal". Our price was about $6000 for the season. She tried to bargain with me, that I should knock off 10%. Oh, and they did need hand shoveling.
    I went back, checked it out, and called her back that it would be an additional $1000 for the hand labour.
    Two weeks later, I followed up. They gave it to last year's guy because "they wanted someone familiar with the property".
    Ah well.

The second was a property management company I'd never dealt with before. I looked at their property ( large commerical condo) right away as they were in a huge rush, so I went the same day and stayed late at the office to put the quote together. It was $13,000.00, a nice one.
    A couple of days later, they called for "clarification", and to discuss my qualifications.
    They even drove by my office to check us out.
    Next, they ask for proof of insurance and a certificate for Worker's comp.
    Then, I'm told the job is mine and my price is "very good", but they are just waiting for the condo board to ratify it. At their request, I sent in my contract.
    My contract is an amalgam of one that is reccomended and endorsed by the Ontario Insurance Institute (a semi governmental agency) and Landscape Ontario (with 8000 members, one of Canada's largest trade organizations.), so they can't complain about it.
    Anyway, I didn't hear from them for 3 weeks. I put it in my route, showed my guys, met with the site superintendent and went on.
    After 3 weeks, I called to ask where the contract was. The fellow I dealt with , of course, was no longer handling that building, but someone else was. I called and emailed him. No answer for days.
    Finally, the first one called back to leave them alone and stop "harrasing" them. (I'd called twice). They gave it to someone else. No explanation, no apology. He says I must have "missunderstood him. How can you "missunderstand" "Steve, your price is very good, the job is yours pending ratification, send us your contract, please meet with the site man to get familiar with what we need."
    I called up both men and left polite but kurt messages, thanking them for their time and opportunity, but if that is the way they conduct business, please remove me from their lists and don't call me again.
    I also dug out the owner of the company and called him, leaving a similar message and mentioning the two men by name.
    Guess what, they didn't call me again!

What are you going to do? Sh-t happens.
    As it turned out, I later aquired two other properties totaling about the same, but much easier to deal with.
  9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Live and learn. Sorry you lost the job, but that is business, as stated. Move on, and learn from it, and you will be a better business man for the lesson.