1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Largest V-Box with gasoline engine or non pto

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by knuckles, Jan 30, 2009.

1. knuckles

knuckles Junior Member

Hello, we are looking for a large capacity vbox that is not pto driven. We have a Ford F650 w/ dump body undertailgate spreader. We usually load it with 6-8 tons. The spreader works ok but we tend to like the efficency of our other vbox's. Are the any other options out there. Thanks for any ideas or opinions you might be able to offer us.
  2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I think you can get pritty much any size v box. We have a 4-5 td western Our county truck have 8 and 10 and larger v boxes. That suprises me that you dont like your undertailgate. There is way more control of how much and how far you apply salt than with a v box.
  3. stay hydro drive a gas v box has to many moving parts or go hydro v box
  4. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

I used a Curtis gas 2-yard v-box for years, now running a 4-yard Salt Dogg hydro v-box. I love it, wouldnt go back to gas. It is so nice not dealing with the bull that goes along with the gas engine. Also nice to be able to have more control over the spinner and conveyor.
  5. knuckles

knuckles Junior Member

Thanks for the input so far. I basically agree with everybody's comments. I'll try not to be too long winded here with our situation but maybe it will jar some more good ideas. I run the truck with the tailgate spreader and love the fact it has a large capacity and the spreader is virtually problem free. We have 4 other gas v-box spreaders that are constantly a nightmare mechanically. My problem is many of our properties have large expansive parking lots but also have areas along store fronts that are seperated by landscaping islands, curbing etc. (i.e. strip malls) they are not always long runs and have some small areas witrh sharp turns, dumpster areas, etc. The same stuff all you guys deal with I'm sure. Maybe the problem lies in our set-up. The truck is a 1999 with a traditional pto engage(stop the truck, pull-up on pto engage cable, traditional as in there is maybe better setups I am unfamiliar with) Because the spinner disc of the spreader is dictated by engine speed, I cant get up enough speed in tight areas to effectively spread the salt. I find myself throwing the truck in N and revving up the rpm's. We've come to call these neutral bombs, as you can imagine not so great for the tranny. One of the biggest problems was during this past storm (in Southern NJ) we had some melting and re-freeze. Trying to spot treat run-offs, emptied parking spots, loading ramps, etc. becomes inefficient. With our gas vbox's we just back into the area hit the blast switch and your off. Again, sorry about the long description, any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

My truck is set up with an electric pto engage, i do a medical center that is almost 60 acres total property, so i leave it engaged unless i am going back to refill. Just have a lever to engage the spreader, so just pull up and down on that as i drive to spread salt. With my truck as long as i am moving it still spreads salt, not as nice as i am cruising, so i can still spread wider than the truck even going 5 mph. The only time it just throws it a few feet wide is if i come to a complete stop. I agree having that gas spreader is nice for spreading into real tight spots, but i still like my hydro. Plus, it is nice to turn the spinner down for doing those areas where you dont want to dominate landscape bed.
  7. Get a good quality spinner with curved fins, bigger would be better
  8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Try a different pump setup.

Maybe you could go with a electric hydraulic clutch/belt pump on the engine to run you snow gear.That way there wouldn't be any of that stopping to engage ,drag on the trans etc going on.Just flip the toggle switch and go.Constant gpm flow so there shouldn't be any change in flow with rpms.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just valve the hydro off of the tranny mounted pump? This way as long as you're on a propertyyou service it's only one engagement per site, you'd still be stuck with the speed issue though. is there some kind of booster pump to up the pressure and valve it to control spinner speed independently of the engine rpm??
  10. knuckles

knuckles Junior Member

Thanks for all the ideas. Hopefully we can use some of them to operate more efficiently. Now if some of you guys from NH and MI could send us some actual snow instead of these little mixed events we would really be greatful. Thanks again!