1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Largest lot for trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J HIsch, Nov 15, 2005.

1. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

What is the largest parking lot any one clears with just plow trucks?

How long does it take you, how many trucks, and what is the average snow accummlation with that time? Thanks for your help.

2. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

My Largest lot must be about 300 feet by 300 feet. I believe it takes me about 45 minutes with one plow pickup with a 9'2" Boss Poly V plow. I don't know if that is considered fast or slow. I know that it works fine for me.

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

My largest lot is about 2 1/2 acres it takes three trucks 1.5 to 2 hrs to clear on a 4-8 inch snow fall.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is over 2 acres. I would say that is very quick!

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We used to do about an eight acre site that took 5 - 7 trucks 4 hours to do.
    We had to move the front half's snow to the back. None was allowed to be piled in the front half including the walks.
    We did radius plowing in the back it's a blast when you have all those trucks in a line.

6. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

WE do a few differant lots with differant trucks , I have a 90000 SQ ft lot
    180000 SQ ft lot and a 450,000 Sq ft low each lot is done with one truck each the 180,000 lot is done with a International 4600 10ft plow, and the other 2 lots are each done with just a regular F-350 8ft plow . We only bring in the loaders if we need to move snow . BUT the catch is once it starts snowing these trucks stay on the property and dont leave till the lot is completely clear. We start plowing at 1 in and try not to fall behind, the way we figure it is that if it where to be snowing an inch an hour witch is a pretty good rate of snow we should be able to keep up with that without a problem, plus alot of our lots have people in them during the day and evening so we cant do the whole parking lot we just keep it passible around all the main drives and where ever cars are not parked. If for some reason we start to fall behind or get a big snow storm we have more trucks our back up trucks or trucks that would be doing residential we will bring them in and double up in the parking lots... Its been working for us but if anyone has any suggestions id love to hear em ..

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I have one lot 1/4 mile wide 3/4 mile long and 90% snow gets pushed to one side.it usally takes 1 hour to salt but on our last 12 inch snowfall I was there for 6 hours.This is why I have the ln with the 12 footer.

8. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

The lot I plow takes me 4 1/2 - 5 hours with my truck. Its not a large parking lot, but its broken up and most of the snow I push into a large creek next to the lot which becomes time consuming.:dizzy:

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't let the DEC see that:nono:

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's about haw fast I used to do my commercials. I had a 2 acre lot I did at 4-6 for a couple seasons. I used a single truck- just the Chevy. Depends alot on the lot's layout, where you can leave the snow, light poles, etc. If there are no obstructions and no restrictions on snow placement running in a loop with the blade angled just pushing it back is quite fast.

11. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Thats right Just me we just turn the blade to one side and run with it when we get the three trucks windrowing it goes pretty fast.

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

An American Football field covers approximately 1.32 acres.

I just found that info online when looking at dimensions.

I have done many many this size over and under. The time depends on many things for each lot. That is why when I did/do bid on a lot I want to see it rather then just someone telling me the sq. footage.

Where I was in Kalamazoo one of the accounts was the Red Cross buildings and drive to their emergency trucks and ambulance. Over all it was prolly a acre in size. But it had so many turns and islands and unnessecary light poles and no parking signs it would take twice the time of a lot twice the size but open w/min obstacals.

If the Red Cross lot got over 4 inchs on it before I showed up it would take 2 trucks a couple of hours just because of where they wanted the snow pushed and how it had to be done. Islands in lots should be out lawed in my opininon after doing that lot for a few years and all lighting should be on boarders. The kick is each year the landscaping company I was plowing for did not want it because of how much of a PITA it was. So they would add 30% to each new bid the next year. Either we were to good at doing it or nobody besides us were fools to bid because they still have it and on the route I did with them it was the most valued because of the pay.

I guess what I am saying is, before you bid get a real good EYE view of what you will be plowing before just giving sq. foot bidding. Blind footage bids can bite you in the ass in the long run.