1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

larger s/a dumps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Jan 11, 2011.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

anyone have any experience with larger single axle dumps? we are in need of a larger dump truck and want to stay with a single axle, preferably a 33K unit since I already need a class cdl.

it will be used for salting and plowing in the winter so thats why i want an s/a truck.

ive looked around and liked the pete 335's but they are hard to find. i also found this c7500 with power windows/locks cd etc... a plow mans dream! for what seems a really good price. its in FL with 13K miles on it.

an 8611 wont stand up to this size truck right? would the muni grade plows from boss work or should i be looking at frink or newell plows? 6yd salter im thinking as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We had a Western Heavyweight on the exact same truck, Worked well for us. We mostly used it for commercial plowing and not roads. I think the BOSS municipal grade plow would do fine. Whats the asking price of that truck? and what year is it?

3. PTSolutions

the truck is an 03, which is the downside for having so little miles. hes asking 45K but i wouldnt pay more than 40K. this truck will be used for commercial lots, we dont do any roads, nor do the muni's sub that out.

i wasnt sure if the muni grade plows only went up to 25kgvwr trucks, even though there are 7500 trucks with 25999 gvwrs.

heres the link:
    http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/find/listing/2003-Chevrolet-C7500-97846490

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you have to be carefull putting any plow over 8'6" on any truck in Ohio now. the state is starting to crack down and citing guys for it. it would suck to spend all that money on a plow and get cited everytime it snows. as for a salter i would go with an undertailgate, you can haul alot of salt around in that thing.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That's a sharp truck, would look good in my fleet... I would really like to expand on my black trucks with white plows theme, instead of the current white truck with red plow....

6. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

sent you a pm

7. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

Is it me or does that seem like a lot of cash for that truck???

8. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I'm all about having a good looking truck. I would, however, like to make a suggestion that has merrit from both a bean counters and pragmatics perspective. Have you looked into buying an ex. muni. S/A truck? My guess is that you could find one in excellent condition that already has everything that you want on it (incl. 4 x 4). IMO your investment would be much less too. Installation of a CD player, and maybe a new seat, could help with creature comforts. A paintjob (if you want it) will complete the job. I bet this will save you a lot of install headaches, time,and a smaller investment. IMO the downside may be in locating the truck you want.
    Whichever way you go good luck.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

one thing you may not realize is in those SA dumps, the plow isn't an electric/hydraulic (like a pickup plow), it's all hydraulics, and that means a always on PTO (which is different than a dump truck style PTO, where it's only on for a short time)

Plow setups alone are like 10 grand
    Plus the PTO (which is certainly a couple grand)

it's way cheaper to buy one already equipped as Dodger says.

way

remember big trucks, big bills.

10. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I have a Western 10' heavy weight plow on a 33,000 GVW s/a dump truck. Works fine! I load 4-5 tons crushed stone in dump. It will plow deep snow 12-15" with out any trouble at all. Western dealer was hesitant about that plow on a 33,000 GVW. He said that max GVW should be 26,000. I was not going to spend $10,000 on a municipal weight plow ie. Valk, Frink or Monroe. Tax Dollars do not support my business like Cities or Towns . Just remember that truck and plow is not a buldozer or heavy weight loader. Use it correctly and it will perform for you. I have used mine for 10 years. Before I got that truck I had a 10' Meyers on a Ford F-700 early '70's that I used for plowing for over 20 years.

11. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

when I used to do large commercial lots I bought a used state DOT s/a Ford 9000 which had dual wings and an angle blade(formerly used on NYS thruway) for 3k at muni auction had 50k miles and truck was well maintained a little paint work and it looked good everything worked as it should and was already set-up for the job. truck paid for it self in a few events so i would not rule out used surplus stuff. sold it 6 years later for 3k more than I paid.

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

That is 1 sweet looking truck there Protouchgrounds.I have a 2002 7500 which resembles that exterior,but GM changed the interior for '03. It looks like it might have the 275-300HP Duramax 7.8 with an Allison right? I have the Cat 3126E with the Roadranger 8 speed.It's real nice but I'd prefer what's in that truck you might buy.Anyway,it should push great on large flat lots without breaking a sweat.

13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

It is a sharp looking truck. I think a little high on the 45k. If you don't need the truck now for snow. Why not wait till spring and look for a truck ,plow and salter setup. Like others have said buying a new plow ,and salter setup for that truck and you will be close to having 55k or more into it.

14. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

Central Hydraulics won't be cheap to add. Just stating a fact, not being negative at all, looks like a nice rig,I am sure you can negotiate fine on your own and don't need us to chime in on price.
    We have always been happy with the MC series Fisher, much heavier than the standard Fisher stuff, in my opinion you can fine a great quality blade in the ten to eleven foot range cheap compared to the pickup grade stuff out there, They are all over the place in the spring for short cash. Schmidt and Wasau/Everest plows are real nice in my opinion and available all over.
    Good luck.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I just bought this 07 Freightliner on Mon, flying out to Boston to drive her home tomorrow. Pretty excited.

body_001.jpg

body_015.jpg

body_017.jpg

16. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Looks pretty new, looks like it already has everything you would need, and my guess is that it costs way less the upfiting something that doesn't already have what you need.
    Dave, maybe you can enlighten us on how you found this unit.

17. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Looks good Dave! Id be interested to see more pics of that bed....

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It has 21k on it, 300hp MB900, allison auto. I priced a brand new cab and chassis out last week and I was quoted 65k, and your looking at 40k+ to outfit the truck. I'll know if it was a deal or not after the 11 hour drive home. I found it in the Truck Trader. The only thing better about building your own truck is you can buy a used southern truck that has never seen salt. Most salt trucks that are 10 years old are pretty well screwed unless they're looked after well. The Frieghtliner has an aluminum cab so at least the cab should last almost forever.
    The side dump box's work just like a V box, they use to be very popular around here untill they cam out with the U type box's which are much less expensive to build and work the same. I'll post more pics after I get the truck home.

19. PTSolutions

the ad says it already has a dual gear electronic control pto, i know id have to add central hydros with is 4-5K on it. I have been looking into ex muni trucks but the problem is that good condition units without alot of rust and a beat cab are hard to find. im not opposed to purchase one should the right unit come up.

it says its equipped with the 3126 cat motor, which ive heard are decent right?

in the end id rather buy a nicer looking slightly newer truck that i can keep for 20 yrs. than going for a cheaper more beat truck. plus it fits the image of our company better.

this is not a plow only truck but will be used in our landscaping side as well so it will be a year round truck. plowing wise it will be used on larger lots only.

JD thats a nice looking Freightliner, ive been looking into those as well. let me know how it runs after you drive it back.

20. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Ive' got a 3126 in our Freightliner and its beent rouble free for 120k. Pretty powerful when mated to the correct trans, etc. Been a great engine. Its in an Fl50 we use for landscape as well and its been performing very well for us.