1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Larger plow than recommended on Crew Cab problems?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hoot, Nov 22, 2003.

1. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Hello fellows,

First Post here.

I have a GMC Crew Cab short bed. GM does not recommend a plow for this truck.
    It's a diesel so it's already used up alot of the front end's GVW.

I want to put a 900 lb. Fisher EZ-V on it.

Comments? Timbrens enough?
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With ballast in the rear about 90 lbs, and timbrens up front, and a few turns of the torsion bars, you should be fine. Just dont haul 4 other guys around with you while plowing.
  3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Hoot, The problem with the crew cab and GM is that if someone was in each seat the truck you would be overloaded with the plow on. The V will be fine on the truck. Run ballast behind the rear tires and go with the Timbrens. If your bars are turned up at all they will only help when you hit a dip or bump in the road with the plow up, they will keep it from bottoming out.
    You could weigh the front on a scale to see what you have left for weight carrying.
    Duke rules:D
  4. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Thanks for the quick answers.... should have asked Duke:gunsfiring:
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i think you can put a v-plow on your truck. i would just get a 8ft straight blade for the wieght problems on the front end though. timbrens are always a big help when plowing with a truck:)
  6. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 Junior Member

I have a '03 F350 Crew Cab with Short bed diesel 8' MDII Meyers and it bottems out on most bumps in the road Just spent $800 to replace the bent brackets. Any sugestions on how to get the frond off the ground more? Anyone else with the same issue?
  7. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Get the X code front springs installed.
  8. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

I have a '03 F350 Crew Cab with Short bed diesel with the HD spring package (X-Code). No problems here.

I run an 8'2" Boss Poly V with 700+ lbs ballast.
  9. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

aren't those just for fords?
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I assume you meant 900# right.
  11. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

:waving: Hello Hoot,
    My trucks only a extended cab short bed with the 8' straight blade fisher. And I usually crank my bars up another couple of turns (over the 5 turns for normal use) in winter for the plow. And I usually put about 300 lbs up against the tailgate for ballast. And I think it is just fine. I think my fisher might go up for sale though so I can get a blizzard plow.
  12. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

ratlover.... I did finally go with the EZ-V Changed my mind the last second.

I looked at the Boss V. Did not like the spring wing thing. Rather have the Fisher double acting cylinders. Also didn't like the full trip moldboard and the higher price. and weight.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  13. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD crew cab short bed with a 8'2" Boss poly v. This is the best truck that I have ever plowed with. It handles the plow like it's not there, pushes just about any amount of snow with no problems. I just turned up the torsion bars, no timbrens. I plan on installing my 7'6" back plow this year.
  14. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

My 01 F350 PSD Crew cab long box sits about 2.5" higher in the front after adding 1 leaf to each of the front springs.
    No problem for me and my 8.5' western V
    Tuff country makes them they have a web page.