1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Large snow contract 50km of streets and roads

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kcress31, Nov 16, 2009.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I have a potential contract to plow 55km of streets and associated parking lots / 60km of sidewalks for a small town. Any guesses as to how much equipment and manpower would be the minimum required.
  2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Depends on what their time frame requirements are.......do you know what they are?
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Thats a loaded question...you must have the answer.
  4. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Just started talking with the client today. Very little info yet.
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You're jumping the gun then.

Understand and digest their requirements before you spend the energy planning.

Do they have bond requirements in Canada?
  6. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Just brainstorming / throwing it out there.
  7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Im hoping to get the contract next year for my city. It wil be a 7 year deal, will be taking lots of notes this coming winter. Its 49 km, they ask for 4 trucks and it went for 198 grand.
    Have no idea about the sidewalks, but I know they were bid seperatly. Good luck let us know how it turns out.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My uncle has the contract for all the roads in Mercer Maine (33 miles of road and no side walks). He has 10 trucks with plows, wing plows, and sand/salt spreaders, a grader with a wing plow, 2 loaders to load sand (1 is a back up). He has 3 drivers plus himself. He says that for every driver you need 2 trucks, a main truck and a back up truck. He said 10 miles per truck is perfect (he has 4 drivers becouse he felt bad for a guy and hired him).
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The roads down here are priced stand by and then hourly. You have 30 minutes to be rolling and the penalties for late and break downs are big. You also have to have certain specs on your trucks. Once you get in I bet it would be a great contract. They call all the shots. When to start salting, plowing and when to stop. Takes the guessing out.
  10. WISnowPlower

WISnowPlower Junior Member

A few years ago we made the jump from all commercial plowing to also plowing roads. We do a little over a 100 miles of road and have 10 trucks total with 6 plowing about 18 miles each, the rest are backups. Also have a Champion 740 grader and an Oshkosh for drift busting. The first year was a headache but having done it for a few years I would rather have all roads and no parking lots. Just like mercer said backup equipment is a must and plenty of extra drivers
  11. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Just submitted some low starting at prices for basic machinery for the client today. They are in the process of deciding to lay off their snow crew and contract out. I guess they need to figure out how much money they can save by going with us. Crossing my fingers.
  12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I dont know about up there, but around here, the shifts per truck sometimes are as little as 2-3 hours. Depending on which roads of course. Primaries usually get hit first, and they want them done quicker. Secondaries usually take longer as they are less priority. All depends on the scope of work. I agree with others, municipal type work is the way to go. But thats just my opinion. Good luck with that bid.