1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Large Scale Snowblowing Info needed...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fee, Oct 1, 2003.

1. fee

fee Junior Member

I have snow removing responsibilities at a retirement community where there are about a mile of concrete roads (24' wide) and approx. 80 driveways. In the past, we pushed snow with a Cat 950 loader and a JD 310C, piling the snow up on empty lots. Well, the empty lots are few these days and, with landscaping out at the steets, conventional plowing isn't an option.
    I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experiences with truck-mounted snowblowers. Hanson makes a self powered unit that goes on to the front of a 4X4...expensive and ,from what I saw of the video clips at their web site, not impressive. It appears that they've gone up to a 27hp Kohler engine (from 24hp Onan), but I don't think it's enough.
    There seems to be a fair bit out here for skid loaders. It seems that units with high hydraulic flow can do a pretty good job. Has anybody out there used any of this stuff? I did some searching of old threads...didn't come across anything too current.
    Any suggestions?

2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I havent heard good things about the hanson blower its very underpowered and expensive.You would do best with the skid steer mounted blower .Dont even waste your time with the truck mounted one.Where are you located in Eastern PA?

3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I have no experience with the Hansen unit, but I would think it would still be underpowered even at 27 hp. Progress would be extremely slow with it to prevent clogging.

My blower on the link gordyo provided is rated at 80 hp via the hydraulics and you must still be careful with your speed to prevent clogging. I haven't run with my standard chute, it might perform a bit better. No matter what you're using for a blower, expect it to be slower than a plow.

You should also note wherever you discharge the snow, the vegetation underneath will be killed. I believe this is due to the density of the snow preventing oxygen from getting to the plant life.

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have seen the local public works use a snowblower mounted on the front of one of their larger john deere loaders clearing streets.It seemed to work great but i would amagine its very expensive.

6. johngus

johngus Senior Member

wheres that old post of the GM pickup with that crazy blower and stilts on it from ebay when someone actually needs it???:)

7. fee

fee Junior Member

I'm working in the western corner of Schuylkill County. Thanks for the old link and the info to date. Has anyone seen a hydraulic blower on an F550 or F650 equipt with a high-flow, pto driven hydraulic unit? I think the dump would be handier to have than the skid steer during the rest of the year.

8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Fee your not to far from me your about half way to my house in Tioga county.As for the blower I have never seen one hooked up to a big truck before.If your gonna be working in tight areas the skid steer would be very manuverable.

9. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Around here everybody uses tractors.

New Holland 110's area popular model. The guys do a 150 driveway route in about 4 hours.

It doesn't afect them much weather the snow is 4 or 10 inches, those tractors send it flying.

10. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

We use this case 1845c to blow back piles of snow from our commercial lots when they build up. (instead of hauling) it is slow, but it will go through ice packed snow banks pretty well also.

case1845c.jpg

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

One tractor???

12. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

hmmm

150 driveways in 4 hours is one driveway every 1.6 minutes . at $30.00 each that is $4500.00 or a $1125.00 hourly rate . I didnt realize those units were that efficent ;)

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm placing my order as I type!