1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Large retirement home

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Im currently working on a larger bid for a local retirement home it has about 76 spaces and about 300 yrds of private dr. What do you think of my qutoe

Plow drive and lot........................................................................100.00
    Sidewalks....................................................................................50.00
    300lbs salt.................................................................................120.00
    150lbs calcium..............................................................................75.00
    Tax............................................................................................23.29
    Total.........................................................................................368.29

Tell me if I am even close here.

Thanks,

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

2. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I plowed a large retirement home and it can really be a pain.. You get there and start moving snow around all the cars and by the time you've finished one area, the retirees finally make it out to thier cars and back them up, then give you that pitiful look that says "Can you please plow my spot too??" So back in you go.. I did the main roads and whatever I could fit into because I was usin a loader with a Protech box on the front. The trucks would come in and do a good cleaning after I opened the roads, then the next day, we'd all go in and clean it and haul it..

Now that I have my own truck, I'd prolly do it again, just add a little more knowing that you're going to be going back over areas that you've plowed unless you just have a cold heart..

As for your estimate, I think you're WAY down on the cheap side.. Those spaces are usually 9' wide by about 12' deep, then you have the drive behind them.. Let's just call it 760 linear feet of parking spaces... Then you can multiply that by about ohh say 20' for the space itself and the road behind the spaces.. That's 15200 sq feet.. You also got at least 760 linear feet of sidewalk or 3040 square feet just around the parking areas alone..

The parking spaces would be pretty easy except for the number of spaces you're going to have to back drag aroud parked cars, then taking your time around the cars.. Then like I mentioned before, plowing the areas the residents pulled out of, and then helping them get out of the windrow you plowed in the parking lot..

Yep, you're TOTALLY under bidding that job.. Look at a normal driveway. It's usually 10 feet wide by 30 or 40 feet long.. Lets say 40 feet.. Most people charge $25 just for that.. That's only 400 square feet.. You're plowing almost 18000 sq feet for only 4 times that amount.. I can see not basing your square footage rate on the driveway amount but, you're losing out on a lot of money there..

Hope that helps and I hope you're not my competition.. At least with those rates..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  3. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I agree, you're lowballing. That would be way cheap even if it were a business that would be empty at night. You're talking about a retirement home, where your won't even be able to come back once to clean up. You'll be coming back time and time again. It won't even have much to do with your kind heart - it'll be to avoid the liability of leaving snow and ice between the cars that only move once a week.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

JR
    I think that you are to low on that price. Also 300 pounds of salt sounds really low,thats alot of pavement to salt with only 300 pounds. Are you salting just the main drive or the whole lot? I use 300 pounds of salt on a little lot for a doctor and he only has about 10 spaces and a side drive that he parks at.

Good Luck. Mike

5. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

sorry guys i didn't know I was low balling. Then help me out with what the price should be.

Thnaks,

Jff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Jeff
    First off prices can be very local. I might get 400.00 to get that job here in Michigan,but it could be higher or lower in other markets. Are you using a tailgate spreader or a V box? Here in Michigan bulk salt is about 60.00 a ton or about half of bag salt.
    I would think you are low on the salting and plowing,is plowing bid by storm total or by the inch? Remember the more snow in a storm the longer it will take to push. So the bid should be something like this.
    1-4 inch's xxxx dollars
    5-6 inch's xxxx dollars
    7 and above xxx dollars
    Bid salt as one price per application some guys bid it by the ton,but the customer do not know if you are spreading 1 ton or more or less. I always bid my salt by the application,and tell my customers that there will be plenty of salt on there lot not just a ton.

Is the Calcium price for the sidewalk? That looks to be a little low,what are you paying for calcium per 50 pound? Around here its 15.00 a bag so I always double the price to spread it on walks.

Hope this helps
    Regards Mike

7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Thanks for your help yall. Keep the suggestions coming. This is my second year plowing commercial and really dont have a clue about anything.