1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Large Retail Site

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dan Schulte, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Dan Schulte

Dan Schulte Junior Member

First time on this board so bear with me. Signing up a home improvement store chain tomorrow for snow removal. Currently do all of their lawn work. Large lots. I use F250 super duty's for my lawn care bus and want to add plows to them. Should I use 8 foot or 10 foot plows? How big a salt spreader? Any help would be appreciated.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Since I don't know the dimensions of this lot I can only assume its like a home depot or lowes. If its anything like the ones around here than you'll really need to keep up on it if you get a large storm and your plowing with an 8 footer (even with a couple of trucks). Most of those types of lots around here are done with one loader with a pusher and one or two pickups or dumps with 2yd spreaders. Also the only way you can get a 10 footer on a 250 is to get the blizzard plow that expands to 10 feet from 8. I would try to sub contract the loader or backhoe (or both, again that depends on the actual lot size) to be sure you can handle the entire job.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD's right you will need more than just a 250 or two with 8' blades Rent a loader for the season or sub it out.That way you can keep up with the snow

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!

A loader on this job is a necessity. Without it, this lot will shrink as the winter progresses. I subbed on a large parking lot years ago with no loader on site, towards the end of the season we were running out of room to put the snow.

You should also make a provision in your contract for removal of piles if it proves to be a heavy season. You'll need to hire a loader and 10 wheelers for that. Good luck!

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Those wouldn't be "9 ft piles", would they ???

:eek:

6. Dan Schulte

Thanks guys - I think I'll rent out a loader and charge the customer up front for the season rental then per hour for use. Heres another unknown - how many tons of salt do you guys stockpile for a season per site? Is it per 100,000 square feet as an estimate? Ive read for pushing snow that $80-$100 per hour is the norm. Sounds good. Thanks.

7. lohr

lohr Junior Member
    from 18411

Buy a 810 blizzard plow and get an eight foot plow and a ten foot plow aLL IN ONE PLOW.It is a plowing animal,with one foot wings that hydraulically expand out and also angle forward to form a scoop.It is by far the most aggressive plow ouy there.

8. Dan Schulte

Who makes them and where can I get one?

9. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

10. Dan Schulte

Need Rates

Of course Brady was from U of M but thats oK. Good for the Patriots. We all root for the Red Wings. Still more questions. Im new to this and going to do it right. If you charge $80 an hour for removal how do you determine how much parking lot you can do with a 8 foot blade and 2yd spreader? I read on this board that snow is $.45 sq ft but what about salt? On sidewalks are you using snow blowers? How are you salting the walks w/o the truck? Lots of questions I know but Im getting into this big time and in a hurry. Im locking these customers NOW before the other yahoos start their sales pitches!

11. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

lohr wouldn't happen to be a blizzard salesman, would he/she ??

12. Triple Amp.

Triple Amp. Junior Member

I read on this board that snow is $.45 sq ft

Just Curious but is this on a per season job?
    Which thread did you read this on. I have read many of them through search but have not seen that one yet? Just curious, still trying to figure out the pricing stuff my self..

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Triple Amp., the best advise you'll get is to ignore any specific price for snow removal. This varies so much by area and circumstances as to be useless.

14. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yes, ignore them. We do some sites that work out to that amount, or thereabouts, and others that are much less. And this is a HIGH priced plowing market.

It is almost impossible to assign a per square foot price to commercial accounts. There are too many variables.

~Chuck

15. Triple Amp.

Thank you very much for the responses Gentleman I really appreciate it. Since this is my first season plowing I will simply see how I do time wise when plowing. Not sure of what the market prices are around here. I'm just not too sure how long it takes to plow an open lot say 100' by 300' with 8 inchs of snow on it. No obstacles. Just a 7 1/2 foot blade. with a Chevy 1500 1/2 ton

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think I'd allow about 45 minutes to an hour for a lot with those dimensions and equipment. The short way to push is 50 ft by starting in the middle of the 100 ft run. That's a lot of snow to keep in front of a 1/2 ton pick up. Try to push every 4-6". If you windrow, you'll wind up with some awful big loads. Don't just wait till the storm is over.

Not to slam you, but I think you've bit off a pretty big lot to learn on. You really need a pusher. Try drawing this out on paper and figure how many passes you're going to have to make to clear the whole lot. You only want to commit about half of you blade size to each pass. Then will you need to make some more passes to clean up trails?

Do you have a backup vehicle in case of breakdown?

17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Keep in mind the more you work the snow, the heavier it gets. In other words, as you windrow, the snow will condense and get more difficult to move. By the end of the row, your truck is going to be working pretty hard.

With a lot that size, 6" might even be too much for your truck. Remember, the harder you work your truck, the more likely it's to break.

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I like to work with the storm ,why kill your truck? a lot that big if it's wet snow will be very hard to move if it gets high.and like pelican said it will get heavier as you push it to the side

19. Triple Amp.

Thank you very much again for the advice. I really appreciate it. You guys are awesome. I will definitely try to plow every 4-5 inches so as to not place to much strain on my truck. I hope to talk with you all very soon. When it comes to snow, Bring it on!!!!! I'm ready for it

20. Dan Schulte

Thanks for all the replies. Learning snow this year this site has been amazing. I ordered Johns books, downloaded contracts and have read hundreds of threads. I havnt found many contractors around here who are members and I cant figure out why. Im kicking there a-- in sales based upon what you guys suggest i.e. good insurance, snow stakes, etc... These guys are getting $50 an hour and Im getting over $100 because of what Ive read here. No money -no deal. By the way - package all of your snow contracts with lawn care if you do it. Everyone wants to deal with one contractor and also not go through the yearly spring bidding headaches.