1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Large plows on 1/2 tons

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Apr 30, 2007.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I thought I would ask how many guys here run larger than dealer recomended plows on there 1/2 ton trucks, for example an 8' Fisher on a 1500 Chevy, I have seen a 1995 1500 Dodge with a 9' Diamond and also 2004 1500 Silverado w/ 8' 2" Boss V in my area, I am planning on installing a new Boss V 8'2" on my 1986 K10(when finished this summer), I know the front 10 Bolt 6 lug & 8 Lug axles are almost the same and feel my current axles will hold up to the V til I can find a set of axles from a K20 or K30(I Deffinatly want to upgrade), just would like to here some opinions on this.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Sell the 1/2 ton.
    Take the money you would have spent on up grading your springs and axles
    and go buy your self a 3/4 ton. JMO....
  3. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

if it was a newer truck i would sell it and get a 3/4 ton but youve got yourself and old K10 which are incredibly easy to work on and when you break parts you can easily replace them with parts from a K20 or a K30 just my .02
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

CAT, I wouldn't hesitate to put an 8.2 on that truck if it has the three leaf front springs or you plan to do a spring upgrade. Boss allows an 8.2 on a 3/4 ton of the same era, and the only difference in the front of the truck between a 1/2 and a 3/4 ton is the front springs and the 8 lug rotors/brakes. They use the same ball joints,wheel bearings and all steering components. I'm runnin an 8.5' commercial series Meyer with mega scoops on my '87 1/2 ton without any problems.
  5. CAT 245ME

Well the front springs have been upgraded(new), this truck is presently just a cab on a frame, I have stripped it down within the last week or so, all panels will be replaced. I had thought about trying to find a K20 in good shape but easier said than done also the K10 & K20 frames are almost the same, I would rather build a truck from the 73-87 line than going with anything newer cause the old solid axle chevys are as tuff as they come and cheap & easy to fix (cheap to build to). The Boss 8'2" V is lighter than there 7'5" trip edge plow, the front axle on my 86 K10 has never had any real abuse, the ball joints, axle joints and lock out hubs are new and would like to get some use out of them first, I will add timbrens as well, but not sure on what to run for shocks, I have the front quad shocks.

At some point I want to go to a Dana60/14B FF axles, but till I find them I will run what I have.
  6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

They run 9' 2'' steel Boss plows on 3/4 tons so why not? Most forget that the pre 88' 1/2 ton GM's were built like a 3/4 ton is today if not better.

A 7' 6'' Fisher is weighed in around 630 pounds as the Boss 8' 2'' steel V comes around 850-60.
  7. CAT 245ME

The Boss 8'2" V weighs 860 pounds with a chevy mount, as were Boss's 7'6" trip edge super duty weighs 862 pounds with a chevy mount, so I dont think the V would be to heavy for my K10 considering the weight of the 7'6" being more than the V.
  8. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Its just a cab and chassis at the moment right? Local guy has a 87' Chev 3/4 ton with a sander mounted to the chassis with an 8' Fisher a similar idea could act as a ballast for the added front weight unless you want the bed as well to act as a personal truck.

Still eyeing that crew cab for its axles?
  9. CAT 245ME

You wanna believe it! I will go and see what the owner wants for it, the truck is the 88-91 3500 model and I am just waiting til I go back to work first(about another week,oh joy). I still need a bed which is another reason I would like to get the crew other than the axles. Like I say, the crew hasnt moved for atleast 3 or 4 years that I know of.
  10. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i debated hanging an 8'2 v on my 05 1/2 ton crew, their are people on the boards that have done it.
  11. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

You going to the auction at Jardine's on Saturday? could be a few deals to be found there.

I'm debating to go up and look at a couple trucks they have listed plus hopefully they'll have a backhoe,Just not shure on what they go for on average.
  12. CAT 245ME

Not likely, but they do have a 88 suburban 4X4 up for auction, looks good and probebly not winter driven. The last time I went to the auction there was a 93 GMC 2500 Diesel E-Cab with Fisher plow that was in good shape and low milage for a diesel, not sure how much it went for.
  13. Puller504

Puller504 Junior Member

I have a 1986 Chevy Silverado K25 4x4 for sale. The truck is in excellent mechanical condition but the frame rusted and is broken. The truck is not driveable because of the broken frame but has all the heavy 3/4 ton drivetrain and suspension. Also has $500 set of NEW tires, 330-722-4618 for a complete 3/4 ton drivetrain in excellent shape! Don
  14. CAT 245ME

To bad it's far away, I may have been interested, I would like to find a K20 for parts close by if the crew cab doesn't work out, I know a guy who had been looking for a 73-87 GM for parts but every truck he asks about the owners dont want to sell, even the ones that have been sitting for sometime.:confused:
  15. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Same with me in Saint John very hard to find a 85-87 GM to use as a plow truck and getting worse every year.

Looking for a new truck for this winter and so far no blades or decent trucks out there :mad: 96' F250 ex cab 4x4 no blade $4000 though outside its in pretty rough shape.
  16. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

8ft fisher MM! on the front of a 01 dodge ram 1500 off road edition no problems.
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

A solid axle half-tonner will have no probs handling an 8.2 Boss.