1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

large lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by foyboy41, Jan 17, 2004.

1. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

ok here goes .i was contacted today buy a guy who i droped off a flyer to a couple of weeks ago. he told me he wants a price from me and the guy who plowed him the first storm is not interested in traveling as far as he has to to service the account. it is not a small lot but i am just starting out in the plowing bizz. the building is 250x125 with a 40 ft wide road around it plus a 40x60 parking lot in front .it is a self storage place not layed out like most that i have seen but not small either. i went and took a second look at it today and i feel confident i could do the job .the big question is how much should i charge the guy i dont want to low ball the job and then get stuck .he said he wants a three inch trigger and sand once all the snowfall is done unless it snows for a long period of time then i will have to sand in between. i also want to say that this lot is about 5 minutes from my house i figure i could hit it once on the way out and once again on the way in the guy said that the place does have people coming in on the snow days because they are off from work.any thoughts on how i should price this would be great!!!!!!!!! thanks JOHN.......

2. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I would have to see it. The best way if you are unsure is to find out what your local hourly rates are (other contractors) and figure it out based on the estimated time. My area goes for $75-$80 per hr. I have a 1 Hr. min for all commercial accounts. As for the 3 inch trigger, I would charge more for it. More cars will run it over, and it will be heavier to move, their fore take longer. If possible talk them in to a 1 or 2 inch trigger.

3. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

thanks for that info i thought of that and asked for the lower trigger and the guy said no but that could change as i said due to the low temps 2 inches could be a problem with the traffic on foot that they get in there.

JOHN payup

4. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

keep in mind were you are going to put the snow, the lot may look big, or small but were you put the snow will determine how long you will be at that site.

I do a large apartment complex, Both the manager, and I came to an agreement that I would plow every inch to keep the lots clean at all times, And so i could move the snow where ever I needed it. After 3 inches it becomes difficult to move snow around unless you are just pushing straight across the lot.
    4 inches is my max for the rest of my commercial accounts, and the is a lot of snow (here anyway). If he still says 3 inch trigger than tell him a 4-5 inch max. Make your contact included snow at the property site, even if it is multiple small storms, and the amount is at the plow drivers discretion.

5. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

you should know 2 things about this account, one, the person making the pricing decision and two, the person that was plowing it. you could call yourself a professional if you answer yes to this question. i bet everyone that calls themselves a professional or does this business for a living knows who is plowing every lot within 5 minutes of their house, i know i do. i would ask the guy what it was costing him to get it done before, all he can do is tell you no and you still dont know anything, then i would ask the guy who was doing it since it sounds like he doesnt want it anymore, he should tell you, what does he have to lose. if somebody throws out a number, see if you can do it for that, it makes the job alot easier, plus you dont get the reputation of a lowballer and if your making money, it is easier to stay after it year after year.

6. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

thanks for the advice. i do know why the guy who did the lot for the first two storms doesn't want it any more .he has no other accounts in the area and he said it was to far of a ride for him .plus when i looked at the lot i could see where he hit the only obstacle in the lot and must have done some real damage to his truck .it was a small ramp sticking out from the building about 4 inches high the guy who manages the place told me that they had to send a replacement truck to finnish the lot that must have been the straw that broke the camels back for him .........i just would like to give the guy a flat price and be able to knock it out and not have to babysit the place to much..........