1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Large lot... trying to post google earth pics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

quite a few islands, 13 acres to plow, straight salt to be used, 10,000 sf of walkways to be cleared and cl cloride....... I'll be using a 2 yard loader with 12 or 14 pusher, a one ton truck with a 9.5 fisher extreme, and a grunt to do the walkways.... since i'm new to the larger accounts say a 6 inch storm plowing every 3 inches(average snow not wet or fluffy), how much time? and what would you charge to do it? (since most of you arnt from maine)

Thanks
    Mike

Help, can't upload goodle earth pic..... how do you do this?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You have to screen capture the google pic, save it them up load it to your post. There is no magic formula for calculating time. This comes with experience and knowledge of your resources.

I can tell you 1 grunt for the sidewalks is not enough. Consider when this person does not show, is sick or the temp is -5.

As a rule of thumb I try to figure when a property needs to be done by and then I figure how long I want to allow the lot to take. Then we back in the time calculations to help outline the needed resources. For instance 1 guy with a truck could do a whole 50 unit town home complex .... but, that would take probably 8 hours. Do you want the job done in 8 hours or 2?

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Scott,
    Thanks for your reply. The "grunt" will be using a snow blower to clean most of the walkways hence I feel one would be enough... If I have to do two no problem I'll get 2 guys.... In terms of time I understand what your saying..... I just curious with the equipment I have what would your guess be to the length of time it would take to clear this amount of snow witht eh equipment I stated in my previous post..... Lastly, I've saved the image to my computer but when I try to upload the image it states picture is invalid?... I don't know but I know youd get a better Idea of the layout of the lot if you saw the pic, and hence give a better guesstment of time....

Thanks
    Mike

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Scott, If you wouldn't mind giving me your email address I can send it that way.....

Thanks

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

see if this works.......

pm (2).lnk.jpg

lets see if this works

pm (2).lnk.jpg

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That looks like a lot of work for the equipment you have. I am assuming you don't have any other work for your equipment listed there? Do you have backups and such?

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Brant,

I do have other subs with one ton trucks that can come in and give me some help if needed...... no other work for the equipment , this would be enough.....what would be your suggestion for equipment? another loader or skid steer with a box? would a couple more trucks be enough to help with the loader?

Thanks for the input
    Mike

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Mike,

Yeah if you have a couple guys with 1 tons there and V's or Wideout's, you should be ok. Ideally, yes a loader or skid would probably be best. That way, if one breaks down, you still can do some serious plowing with the other one. If you have 2 or three other trucks there, you should be fine. But think about how much each sub costs you compared to another loader etc. I don't know which would be cheaper for you. Just don't let the snow pile up to much. I am guessing you are going to have to be plowing constantly though. That will help out a lot.

Brant

9. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Yeah, I jsut bid a lot looks pretty close to the same size,i figured 2 skids there and I send 2 trucks in to back them up at the end of there route,1-4" without walks or salt i was at $1,460.00 per push