1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Large Loader Sub, how much?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereGuy, Nov 11, 2007.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Anyone here have an idea what it would cost to sub a loader with operator to either move piles on a per hr basis or clean a lot from scratch. Aprox 1.25 acre all snow to one side. Thanks. I used to do it with my rig but to much for me on amounts over 6" with my other lots needing attention.
  2. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

In Michigan we get around $80-100 per hour for out JD 544 and about 100-150 in the winter with a 16' pusher.
  3. mud

mud Senior Member

I am running 125 an hour for regular snow work, and 150 for call outs from other contractors with my 680h in NW Wisconsin.
  4. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

In Central NJ I Charge $175.00 per hour for a JD544, just the bucket, no pushers.
  5. TJS 78

TJS 78 Junior Member

In the greater boston area, a 1.5cy loader ( John Deere 410) the average rate I would say is $115/hr & a 3cy loader (Cat 950) is around $170/hr. I hope this helps.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Thats really not a very big site, maybe a good sized skidsteer would do the job and be less expensive to run meaning better profits for you...just my 2 cents.
  7. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Thanks guys, It gives me something to go on. The site is more like 1.5 acres with another .5 in gravel and a road in. The paved area is the farthest from the snow stacking end. The paved parking is separated by rows of posts and most of the snow has to go to the far end to be stacked. Last year I found that because of the distance to stack, it probably tripled my time. I could probably make more money with smaller lots but this acct last year provided me with opportunity at another location where I made up for the fact that the money is a little thin on this lot. Also, things are very competitive around here. More than normal. So everything I could bid on is a little thin money wise. If I have to pay for loader transport It would not work with the $ I have. $150 an hr for a 2 or 3 hrs per each big event would certainly be great but I am doubtful I could find that price.

It's a seasonal price with plow and salt included. I run a straight blade which will be either upgraded or pro-winged this year. I did find the limits of what I could push on that lot last year with 10" of soaking wet snow on the verge of freezing. It felt as if I was taking a teaspoon at a time for 12 hrs straight. So even if this was my only lot, which it is not, It could really use a loader at times. I see my options this way and maybe you have others that I could consider. I definitey need a way to contain the snow on my blade. I didn't think Pro-wings were strong enough for what I was doing so I didn't invest in them. If I want to upgrade my plow I don't want to put them on. Given the contract price the owners know and accept that there may be some delays. In addition I have around 4 hrs of work on 3 small lots and resi's in addition to the big lot.

1. buy a set of pro wings and call it a day.
    2. buy a small box for my JD1070 (only 38HP) and pay some one to work it. (not very efficient)Max lift at pins is 1300lbs gross wt with loaded r1 and ballast is around 4500lbs
    3. Do both A and B
    4. Buy a V-Plow and be more efficient on all my accts.
    5. Leave piles for a sub/ loader to deal with if I could find someone local to do it.
    6. combine somthing above.

Well... what do you think? I personally would like to upgrade my plow to a 8 1/2' extreme V with extens wings and line someone up for the really heavy wet storms that we get here in the spring. That's around a $4K purchase if I can sell my X-Blade.

One more thing... If we only have 4-6", I can do the lot in 2 hrs and my route in total will take about 5.5-6 hrs which is where I like to be. It's really only the heavy wet storms that I have trouble.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  8. forestfireguy

At 38 ponies and 4500 lbs I'd guess that your tractor will run out of traction before power. Why not a plow for the tractor or the yota and leave it as a site unit, this way the storm can never get ahead of you. Paying a guy hourly will be cheaper for you in the lond run than bringing in a machine even for just a couple hours.
  9. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

You may be right although the big ag tires have hardened studded logging chains on them and traction is usually not a problem. Eating though the hot top can be. The Toy has been sitting on my woodlot for a while now. I'm not sure how good to go it is. Not registered anymore either. To much rust even for NH.

Brought my X-Blade in for service today. They are going to go though it. I want to make sure it is good for resale. I looked at the new Fisher's and they tried to sell me on the new XLS Blizzard clone, I've read some bad things about that model and the Xtreme-V and both of them are last years models. About a $400. savings over the new 07 ones though. I'm wondering what the changes are if any.

I am thinking about a blade for the tractor. I could probably adapt one fairly easily. The tractor is a syncro shift and not a Hydro so the driver would not be a happy camper after about the 4 hr mark. Also, a loader attached plow is asking for a bent loader frame. They are not heavy duty and the last time I lent out the machine it cost me $700. in 3PH parts that the guy bent up pretty good. You have to know how to use a compact to not hurt the machine. It is not heavy equipment by any means.

I may look into a Bobcat lease or used purchase as I can probably find work for it.

10. forestfireguy

I know where you can pick up a really nice and little used Bobcat s180, perfect machine for snow......
  11. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I have been looking at the want ads this week. I don't know much about bobcats but purchasing one was suggested by a couple of guys I buy salt from, just yesterday. I may not have use for it in the summer unless it has some ground clearance. So it would have to pay for itself during the winter. I'm not sure how hard it would be to market loader work after a storm. It seems that just about every business has one these days. I did rent a Toolcat last winter for snow use but that was big bucks. Nice machine though.