1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

large Farad capacitors???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chevboy167, Jan 1, 2012.

1. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

hello. i've always wondered has anyone ever added a large Farad capacitor to therye plow main battery circuit. this would be a capacitor like the car audio nuts install for a large amplifier set up. would there be any advantage? would the extra stored energy help? feel free to chime in.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I have been thinking this too! I have been told it won't help and havent spent the money to try it.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's the difference between a large Farad and a small Farad?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

bigger = more stotrage capacity on of the capacitor.

and specific ratings also filter electronic noise out if you know your electronics stuff.

5. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Not an expert, but I think they only send out power in very short bursts, so I don't see how they would help for how you would use them.

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Capcitors used to filter out radio noise.

Will not add power.

7. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Capacitors are a joke. It will actually rob power from your system. As the alt. will have to re-charge it. Spend the money on a good AGM battery and upgrade your alt. Also do the big 3 upgrade

8. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Well, my flux capacitor pumps out 1.25 jigawatts ....... Thumbs Up

9. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

i wasn't going to add 1 to my plow truck. i already have 200a alt. and 2-1000cca batts. in it. just wanted other thoughts and ideas. wish i had a flux capacitor!!!