1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

laptop netbook-mobile broadband.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Oct 15, 2009.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I purchased a netbook to go out in the truck with me this winter, i will be able to jump on the net anytime, to check radar and see the status of the snow event!

2. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I bought a sony vaio last fall, love it, bought a small printer and power inverter, I can to what ever i need to now without comming back to the office. best thing i ever did. thinking about getting mobile broadband for it.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ya right, your just going to be sitting on PS all night and then be behind all night plowing.

4. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Yup ya got me..:laughing::laughing: why work when i can play viedo games and watch the employees work. :nod:

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I sell a ton of those netbooks. Mobile internet is also getting popular. Im going to try and rig a camera to the rear of the truck and get it into a netbook. The screen is nice and large and a webcam should work fine. Not to mention if you have an AUX in on your radio you can run mp3s off the computer into the stereo and have lots of tunes.

Did you get a mount or anything for inside the truck?

Some of the cheaper ones have a solid state harddrive, like a memory stick. They only cant store as much as the standard harddrive ones, but the drives wont die or fail because of shock - being dropped ect. Lots of options.

6. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

How much is it for the mobile broadband?

7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Around $60 a month with a 5gb cap

8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

once that comes down to 30 a month there will be a huge spike in usage...60 is ruff

9. APLC

APLC Senior Member

yeah i have a Sony laptop in my truck i also have an app on my phone that can turn my palm Pre from Sprint into a wifi hotspot in my truck so i just use my built in wireless card and boom im on the net WITH NO CAP Unlimited plan it's sweet

10. lawn king

My unit has the solid state hard drive, 3g, gps,webcam, & a several other nice features, it was however, not cheap. The best thing about it is its lunix not microsoft. Virus protection, no thank you, im on lunix, i dont need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My unit is built by zareason, i have it on sprint, $60. per month for 5g and i use it through the landscape season as well.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  11. maelawncare

I hate to burst your bubble. But all unlimited plans from phone companys have a cap. You go over it 3 months in a row and they cancel you. Yes even sprint does. All of them have a actually cap on their unlimiteds. Its just in fine print.

12. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I use alltel thru my BB and have it on daily for 8-12 hours straight and havent had any issues with service etc. Anyone else do this ???

13. ShadeScapesInc.

ShadeScapesInc. Member
    from midwest

I have a labtop with the sprint wireless. its awesome you can check radar, use it for mapquest on road trips, use it to show customers pictures of plants for selling jobs. would never go without it. just make sure its sitting somewhere safe, had to get on the brakes hard one time and the labtop went flying to the floor. the wireless card got a little tweaked, one good bump and im afraid its going to be broken

14. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I have a Dell Latitude... Its great and has an illuminated key board, but I am cheap and not wanting to spend $60 a month for an air card I just park behind a bank and get online...:D

15. maelawncare

Oh i know. I know where are the sweet wifi spots are in town :D We dont have att 3g here yet so i havent got it.

16. lawn king

Thats why i went with a solid state hard drive, i know that my unit is getting bounced around to some degree so a hard drive with no moving parts is logical.

17. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

solid state harddrive is best for traveling. its basically like a memory stick inside the laptop. good choice.

check out my cam stuff in a few weeks.

18. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I pay $60 a month now for my home internet. Cheapest that is available to me, through Hughes Net. That's the price of living in the stix.

19. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I have a Panasonic Toughbook in my work truck as a project manager with sprint mobile broadband. I love it,it is mounted with a ram truck mount. It is not in my plow truck but I am just curious how the mounted laptop hold up with all the herky jerky motions while snowplowing. ;)

20. lawn king

If its solid state you should be fine!