1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Laptop In Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AFM Contracting, Oct 18, 2006.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

I saw a post on here about someone having their laptop in the truck with the printer in the back seat so they can print invoices ect. For anyone who has done this do you have a mount for the computer or do you just leave it on the seat, i was thinkin about something like the cops have, but i dont want it to be in the way all the time.

Any suggestions

2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

I just put it on my center console and use it. I don't see a need to mount it. I also don't like leaving it in my truck with all of my information on it. There are plenty of hot spots where you can borrow internet too (for weather and stuff). I also was looking into Hindsite scheduling software www.hindsitesoftware.com. I know a company that is running it and love it. It is PDA based, smaller and more protable in the truck and you can print invoices off that too. Batt. printers are fairly small. Then the PDA sync's to your main computer when you are done. Its pretty cool if you have a service co. that you need to keep track of time and materials. Merges info w/Quick Books too.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

4. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

is that hindsight software compatible with a blackberry, or the kind of pda that those power programmers use?? I have a blackberry, but if its compatible with the pda for the diesel tuner i have a real good excuse to get more power!!

5. BDB

BDB Senior Member

You need an excuse to get a power programmer??? Blackberry...I can't remember if it works with that tho. The Banks PDA I think it works with. Now your in trouble payup

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You can buy i lap top mount on Ebay for about $30.00. Its not fancy but they work fine and a 10th of the cost of the name brands

7. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I have a laptop in my truck. I used the photo's in this ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Laptop-Moun...3QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31534QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I went and purchased all the parts from Lowe's and built it myself. I made one mod, I purchased a plastic cutting board from Bed Bath & Beyond for my laptop base. I built the whole thing for under $30 and use it everyday. I have GPS, my routing software, and a printer for docs or invoices. I also have high speed internet to keep up with Plowsite when I am on the road.

I reccommend laptops in the vehicle.

Just my 2 pennies.

8. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

VELCRO!

I have done GIS and project management work for CDOT with laptop & printer velcro'ed to console. One thing to consider - these electronics have limited operating temp ranges - keep the cab warm!:yow!:

9. dentman

dentman Junior Member

hey thats pretty cool thanks for sharing... do you by chance have aparts list from lowes
    ? I cant imagine what you would buy that has the strength to hold the laptop upright. thanks