1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Landing the first....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ActionLand, Sep 24, 2009.

1. ActionLand

ActionLand Junior Member
    from 06762

I opened up for business roughly a month and a half ago. Getting into lawn maintenance and plowing. I recently submitted a bid to plow a school system. I received a call saying i was the lowest bidder by 2000 (bid stated contract would go to lowest bidder) and references were needed. Gave him several references (they were called), I called the day after the decision was to be made and was told that because all the references were not received that the decision will not be made until the next meeting, and the previous contractor will be used on a per diem basis. The contract stated lowest bid? What do you make of this? Should I hold off on getting another truck? This was going to really get my feet wet.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say dont buy more trucks until you have a signed contract in hand. Your references were called, sure, but you just opened for business a month ago, so obviously you havent plowed snow for them, legitimately at least. So you actually dont have any references for snowplowing.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Thats what I was thinking!

He also hasnt bid much, cause he left 2 grand on the table...

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Bidding schools is weird. Usually the job goes for a quarter less than it should. Maybe tell us a little more about the job, acres, where you live, and what you bid. You might have just gotten real lucky that you missed it.

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Your right we need more INFO and he might be lucky

6. ActionLand

ActionLand Junior Member
    from 06762

There's 3 school. All total there's about 200,000 square feet. Mainly parking
    lots and dumpster areas. No sidewalks. Sand/salt mix also. 25k. In the NE.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

OK, so you were off by eight percent. That's not so scary. Hope it works out for you. BTW, that's OK money.

2K is half of one of my schools LOL

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Don't buy any more equip till the signed contrat is in your hand.
    Sounds like a BIG account for your first year plowing. Hope you didn't bite off more then you can chew.
    Good Luck

9. ActionLand

ActionLand Junior Member
    from 06762

equipment

If I was awarded the contract I would use a 2007 CTD Dodge 2500 with a 8'2" boss VXT and buy a 1981 Chevy C60 with 11' meyers and 5 yard sander. Also possible a bobcat 743 if need be. What do you think? Enough?

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

More than enough for the schools. Do you have much else?

11. ActionLand

ActionLand Junior Member
    from 06762

A 2004 2500 Silverado various snow blowers and shovels, that's about it...besides mowing equipment. Really trying to get going.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No, I meant plowing accounts LOL.

13. ActionLand

ActionLand Junior Member
    from 06762

oh.... Sorry, I'm new to the site as you can tell, just been reading/researching for the past few months... I have a couple resi driveways and a couple gas stations, nothing major, thats why I'm really hoping to land this school system....

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you already have the Dodge? Does the Chevy have a plow? Those two trucks would be more than enough, especially with the Bobcat. What's the deal on the C60?

15. ActionLand

ActionLand Junior Member
    from 06762

The chevy will have a boss straight blade so the dodge and chevy could be
    interchangeable if needed. The C60 I can get for 3700 and it is great
    condition with a plow. It will also be handy for moving material etc during
    the summer. Looking at getting this 743. It was not commercially used
    and only has 2000 hrs on it. What's your suggestion, go with the C60, dodge, and C60
    or the dodge, C60, and skid steer? More versatility with dump and a skid
    steer in the fleet no?

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The C60 sounds like a good deal. But it's not going to be as fast as a pickup. I wouldn't do anything now anyway. I would call your contact at the school and try to find out what's going on. There's nothing wrong with calling. Let them know you need to make some purchases contingent on the contract.

17. ActionLand

ActionLand Junior Member
    from 06762

I've been persistent with my phone calls. Been shmuzin (sp) it up withe the facilites manager. Guess I have to play the waiting game now.
    I'll call again in a few days to "check in". Don't wanna loose the deal on
    the C60 in the mean time tho. They're still calling references of mine from
    the past so I guess I'm still in the race. just don't understand why if I
    was the lowest bid, it's still being dicussed? I'm sure my refernces and equipment are
    sufficent. Nervous.

18. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Was a date posted as to when the contract was to be awarded? If you can use some of the equipment for green season, at least throw a deposit down to hold it until you get word either way. Better to lose a little than to miss out entirely.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The C60 sounds like a good enough deal to roll the dice on that. You could likely sub it out, or even sell if you needed too.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Let me play devil's advocate (or school board member what ever) and ask you a couple questions;

How much coverage will you get out of one yard sand/salt mix?
    What percentage of that mix is salt?
    How will you load the spreader?
    what is your back up if one of your trucks break down?
    how long will each school take?
    how far apart are they? (miles or time)
    How large are the individual parking lots?
    what is your plan if the spreader breaks down?
    How many miles of roadway?
    How many circles?
    How many entrances?
    What is your plan if the truck carrying the spreader breaks down?
    How many trained operators do you employ?
    do you have the necessary insurance coverages, WC, GL, Commercial Auto?
    If your house was on fire and you took bids from fire companies to save it would you risk the inexperienced one that had to go buy untested equipment just to save 8%?