1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lana and enviromelt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Blink74, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Blink74

Blink74 Member

Talked today with a guy who uses only Lava and Enviromelt. He is also the local wholesaler for these products. It seems to me that given the range of effectiveness these products would be far superior to rock salt. However, why aren't more people using it? The way it was explained to me price and profit would work out be about the same as salt.

2. Blink74

Blink74 Member

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

our supplier is trying to sell us a pallet of that enviromelt stuff. I've never used or heard of it before so we're trying out a couple of bags. It looks like it would work good. It doesn't goo up when it gets wet like calcium chloride does. And its only 11$ a bag around here. I'll write back into this post when I get to try it and let you know how it works. We might have something comming through monday here.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

is that the stuff made out of corn?

5. merrimacmill

from MA

I'm not sure, I cannot remember the specific ingredients but I will check when I go into work tomorrow and will get back to you on that. I do know its a non-chloride ice melter though.

6. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Save your money.

Sodium blends with mostly sodium.

7. merrimacmill

from MA

Well I checked the bag of enviromelt today, and theres nothing that tells me what is in there. BUT the stuff works GREAT. So good that I called up and ordered a whole pallet of it at $11.00 a bag. Witch in comparison to calcium chloride isn't that bad. And it doesn't gel up or harden like calcium chloride does. I'm very impressed. Its green in color so that people see that you've put down ice melt. It does have a smell that it gives off when its working. Its not that bad though. It smells like something you would put on a lawn. The pellets are very fine as well (compared to rock salt) so it will work great in a spreader (push type). It doesn't really seem corosive either and does not give your hands that weird feeling or burn your hands. So far I'd recommend it.

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I can tell you that Lavamelt works like FIRE on those sidewalks. I personally like Landscapers Choice (an acetate), but it is expensive. I have been using this stuff called Blzzard Buster (mag - potassium chloride) because it works well and is only $6 per 50# bag.

9. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

:confused::confused::dizzy::dizzy:

10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

An acetate is much less harmful (corrosive) to metals (such as steel doors), and is also much less harmful to turf, and landscape stock, as compared to chlorides, whether they be calcium, magnesium, or sodium.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Calcium is highly Corrosive, and well do alot of damage.
    Urea, will kill plant life at high amounts, and is costly.

The more Pot Ash you have the more friendly to the evioment it is !! However at super low temps (-10)potash is slow acting, which is why you should still have a small amout of salt.

- We use a mix, that is 75% Potash and 25% salt. This is the same mix that NYC Portathority uses.

12. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Landscapers choice is the best,Honestly ive tried them all on ice and nasty wet stuff,rock salt or lava melt or landscapers choice calcium sucks~!

13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah, I just wish we weren't looking at 400 bucks per pallet for it.

14. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

here a pallet of landscapers choice for me is 620 with tax

15. AngusPlow

AngusPlow Junior Member

I agree, landscapers choice works great, here i get it for $547 a pallet.