1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lamp Out?????

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BlueRam2500, Feb 14, 2007.

1. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Hey guys, need some help with the dreaded "lamp out" light. Went out plowing around 6am and no problems at all. The big Dodge did great pushing what little we had, but it was just enough to make some money. Anyway, around 3pm or so I was plowing a commercial lot and the blade tripped over the entrance and then the lamp out light came on. Funny thing is, all my lights work. Usually when the truck says lamp out, there usually is a lamp out, but all my lights are working. Tried the right blinker, everything is fine. But the left blinker is blinking different. But all the bulbs are on (plow, front and rear on the truck). I have a set of LED taillights on the truck, but they are working fine. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You will have to actually check the bulbs carefully. I just had to replace my brake/turn light on the rear and it was arcing in the socket and turning the indicator on and off over a long period of time (months) Did you check your brake lights and with the LED lights did you use the correct load resistor to imitate the regular bulbs?

3. BlueRam2500

Now I am getting Lamp Out constantly and my taillight is not working. Getting a constant fast blink. I am going to check it out today and hopefully it will turn out to be a loose connection or something like that. Thanks for the reply.

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Not 100% sure, but if you are already getting the flash blink, and all the bulbs are good, the only way to stop it is to take it to the dealer and get them to reset the computer. No fuses or flashers are controlling this, it is all by computer.

I went through this mess and learned the hard way. More or less the computer thinks there is a short and Dodge wants a mechanic to check for the short before it resets the computer.

If all the bulbs are working and only the fast flash, this might be the problem. Again not 100% sure, but something to keep in mind as you try to work it out.

5. BlueRam2500

Figured out the problem tonight. The wiring harness for the LED taillights went bad, and I have another set of LED lights so I swtiched the wiring harness and voila! I have lights again.

6. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have really grown to hate that lamp out feature. I have had it where the chiming accurs every 10 seconds yet cant find a light out..... then it will disapear for 2 months. That sound is enough to drive you nuts!!:gunsfiring:

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Glad to hear. Did the light out go away?

8. BlueRam2500

Yes sir no more lamp out light. I sent the manufacturer of the lights an e-mail asking if I could get back up wiring harnesses so I have some spares. Funny thing is, the lights were fine all day, and then the blade tripped and the light came on. Must have been something that was on its way out and the vibration caused it to fail completely.