1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lamp Out

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by HD61CUIN, Dec 18, 2006.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Has the problem of the lamp out indicator being activated on the dash by attaching a plow been repaired with the newer Western plows or newer Ram's?
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it has SALLY. But if you had it installed by a dealer they should have never let it out the door without correcting the problem. My 04 had the lamp out light out for about a minute then the tech fixed it.
  3. BigDave12768

One other thing SALLY. These are the problems you run into when you buy a plow based on color. Not looking into who makes the best product and who offers the best service. Are you driving around with your plow on now because it matches your truck? Or did you take it off?
  4. BigDave12768

OK on a serious note have you checked the directional fluid??? It maybe low
  5. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

OUCH...Holding a grudge are we?

No, I do not have a plow on my 1500 Ram, I had a Western 8'6" on my old 86' F250 which I sold when I started driving larger equipment. I have been driving/working the last 4-5 years in a 04' International 7300/10' dump with a Monroe tailgate spreader and a Volvo L90Wheel Loader with a pro tech pusher. I am in the process of trading in my 04' and ordering an 07' Ram 2500 Diesel. The dealer has not placed my order as of yet. They have one being factory delivered in 3-4 weeks. I am waiting to look over the new 6.7 before making the order final. I have been looking at getting a newer Bobcat for cleanup between semi trailers and need something to haul it with. I would like to put the plow on the Ram, and remember there were some problems with the 3rd generation Rams related to the lamp out light and hooking up a plow.
  6. BigDave12768

So the lamp out light has nothing to do with a plow install? If so go over to DieselTruckresource.com Ask them lots of Dodge techs watching board
  7. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well there was a problem mentioned here in the past, I did not know if it had been resolved. There were people experiencing a 'lamp out' indicator on their dash when a plow was installed/hooked up when no lamp out condition existed. If I remember right the problem was not limited to one plow manufacturer. I was just looking to see if anyone was still having this problem not stir up trouble so everyone just calm down...

This was limited to the 3rd gen Ram's
  8. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Off topic, but why not look at an '06 Ram instead of the '07? The rebates on the '06 models are very good now. Friend of mine bought an '06 2500 QC SB, Laramie, fully loaded except for sunroof and GPS, for $36k.
  9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Thanks to tons of them in the lot still you can get an 06' form $9k to $12k off sticker. Did it last month $39k sticker for $27k. I sure do hope that $36k was for the diesel.
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I never had a problem with it all last year, now last night when I put my plow on the "lamp out" light was on in my truck all night, checked around all lights are working. So I dont know what the hell.:confused:
  11. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

With the options I want, I cannot find one in my area. I am looking for Flame Red, Diesel, manual 4x4, QC/SB, Big Horn Pkg, and a few other minor things. In that configuration it is not within 300 miles, I did find one, it was a showroom/demo model and was slightly abused. Paying new truck price and getting one scratched up is not my idea of a new truck purchase. I will wait for an 07' that can be factory ordered, also I will get the new motor.
  12. BigDave12768

Sally I do not know what you are telling me to calm down when I pointed you to a Dodge Diesel site that address these problems. So check out the link below and watch this thread. It may help you. You can alos check DodgeTalk

OH yeah one other thing post what you want in a truck and a Dealer in the midwest will reply with a price that beats anyone you can find. Many people on site buy off him and claim they could never get a deal like they got.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  13. BigDave12768

Don't be a fool and wait for the new motor!!!!!! :nono: :nono: Look at tall those morons who bought the 6.0 Power joke instead of the 7.3 :eek: :eek:
  14. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Big Dave, I meant to calm down about the Sally thing...

I have been to that site, and have been looking for information on the new motor and the 06/07 differences. I am going to trust Cummins with their new motor. The Ford motor you speak of is from International/navistar, I do not have a high opinion of them. While I would prefer a Cat motor in a Dodge that won't be happening. I tend more to worry about the trans over the motor. The HEMI was a new motor, and it seems like they got it right the first time...

If I wanted problems I would buy a Ford....
  15. BigDave12768

Hemi was not a new motor. Hemi is just a set of heads that they made in the 60's

International did not screw up the 6.0 Ford did. Ford makes the harness and computer that destroyed that motor. Now they are detuning them to stop all the problems. Small Cats are not the most reliable motors out their. Cummins/Case motor by far is the best small motor on the market. That is why all the loaders have the 5.9 in it. As for the tranny. the manual is a mercedes 6spd, And the auto is a 5sd Dodge creation. You can only get the new 6spd Aisin auto in the cab and Chasis. OK Sally. No matter what you are Sally. Buying a plow for the color. LOL
  16. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Big Dave, you are a hoot...Ok I guess you can call me Sally....

The HEMI, yes is a set of heads, but the 5.7 motor and its electronics introduced was "new" so to speak.

Again, if I wanted problems I would buy a Ford.

I am willing to take a gamble with Dodge, Cummins and Mercedes parts.

When referring to Cat, I have no experience with their small motors, only what is in our Fire Apparatus. The Cat motors in that respect are bullet proof. The only problems we have had are with the Allison transmissions installed behind them.

As for buying a plow based on color, I have only had a Western, and I have not had any major issues other than regular preventive maintenance. Yes, I do however not want a plow other than red on the front of a red truck. If I did not like Western, then there are other manufacturers out there with red plows. However if I did not have a red truck, the color of the plow would be meanless to me.
  17. BigDave12768

Buy a can of paint
  18. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I had the Lamp Out light come on on my '03 2500 w/hemi and a boss plow for a day and it about drove me nuts trying to figure out what bulb was out. It finally went off when I flicked the high beams on.WTF??? Hey...it is off for now so I won't question it!:)
  19. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I agree with you ZR2, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually, the Hemi IS a new motor. It has nothing in common with the Hemi of the 60's except the name.
    The Hemi of the 60's had hemispherical combustion chambers. The current Hemi is totally computer controlled with varible cylinder disabling, and does NOT have hemispherical combustion chambers. Is has Semi-hemisperical combustion chambers, but I doubt the marketing guys thought "Semi" would have the same ring...

The Navstar 6.0 has a major Turbo charger failure rate- not a Ford item. Turbo's were on national backorder for 7 months. Rear main seals leaking because they were the wrong seal at engine assembly wasn;t a Ford problem either....

Stop being so quick to insult and work on getting your facts straight Bigdave