1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lamp out

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by don_luciano674, Dec 8, 2005.

1. I have a quick question about my 05' Dodge 1500. I get the Lamp Out light sometimes when I turn them on but after turning them off and on a couple times it goes off. I checked my lights when it came on and everything is working. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You have a "lamp out" light?? What lights does it indicate being out?
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

That's the problem the light comes on but doesn't tell you which one.

Start looking for weird ones, dome lights, high mounted stop. I've heard reports that small amounts of corrosion can set it off too.
  4. That's the part that sucks, it doesn't say it just says Lamp Out right on the dash. Crazy huh!
  5. SilverTrucker

SilverTrucker Junior Member

Same thing happens to me on my 2005 Ram 2500. The local Boss shop manager warned me about this when I picked up my plow though. He said he's been getting alot of calls from late model Dodge owners about this issue. He told me the computer is detecting some draw in the circuit, thus triggering the "lamp out" light on the dash, even though no lights are out. He said sometimes the warning chimes go off too, but that hasn't happened to me, yet. Don't know the solution though.
  6. Thats good to hear! I thought for a minute it was an install problem, since I did the install:p , and that I would have to check all my connections over. Thanks
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had both of these problems with both my 2005 and 2003 Dodge's with Boss plows.

Even when the plow isn't on, I still get the lamp out light sometimes.

My dealer said same thing, that it's the circuitry in the computer / harness that it's an extra draw, enough to set the "light out" light on. :dizzy:
  8. schuitb

schuitb Member

Are you sure that all exterior lights are working? Even the high beam?? cause i have that with my plow.. left side high beam is out and trips the warning light on.. it usually goes off after i restart the truck later... different plow (western sealed beam lights) but just thought i'd mention it.. good luck..
  9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The extra draw is the problem.

I dont know how boss made their harness to work for the new dodges but the truck wiring is just heavy enough to carry the load for that bulb with each headlight on its own circuit. the boss harness might not be picking up the power form the passengers side headlight and bring it back to the relays so the computer is detecting that the passengers side headlight is not plugged in or that the drivers side is carrying all of the load. Its got my curiosity up, going to have to go and find the schematics for that harness.
  10. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Don can you contact me, I have a few questions for you about your Ram. I have the same truck and need some advice from you about your install
  11. Can't PM yet so you can email me at don_luciano674@msn.com
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Huh, you mean DC doesn't think it's customers are smart enough to notice when a light bulb doesn't work so it needs the computer to tell you?? That's too funny. Sounds like a Cadillac concept!
  13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

It's not all bad though, I saw a woman the other day with 1 out of 4 of her brake lights working. The only one working was one bulb in the high mounted light.
  14. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

so it needs the computer to tell you

Yeah, and its really frustrating after you get done doing an install and you know all the lights are working and the darn thing just keeps falshing at you, you just end up screaming at the darn truck, "Which light is out".
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Was she driving a Volvo?

More often here I see tail lights with poor or no grounds, or the wrong bulb installed (tail light on one side works correct, but the other side is stuck on "break".

If any bulbs are out on your vehicle, aftermarket lights too you fail the yearly safety inspection. And there's no "you're light' out- fix it asap, here's your sticker" stuff. Maybe that has something to do with it.

The more idiot proof something is the more there is to go wrong (or as they say if you build something idiot proof they will build a better idiot)
  16. MichiganPlowMan

MichiganPlowMan Junior Member

Blizzard plows have a service bulletin about the light out issue with the dodges. It required an extra set of relays to be mounted on top of the ones that came with the plow. My plow dealer still got it wired wrong though so blizzard sent me the pdf file for the wiring just havent gotten around to it since its only a minor nusince. if anyone wants a copy of the pdf file let me know. my truck owners manual also says that if that happens that the plow lights are not installed correctly so Dodge knows about the issue too.
  17. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i know someone that had the same problem dont know what causes it but the boss dealer took the truck rewired the plow and we havent had a problem since. Unfortunitly i dont know what they did to fix it.
  18. wls

wls Senior Member

Mine just did it today, I also walked around to see what light might not be working, only one I can tell is the blinker on the plow light, will change it tomorrow and see if it it.
  19. T.French

T.French Member

I tried to pm but plowsite wouldnt let me.I would like a copy of the pdf file.Was on the phone with Eric from blizzard to try and get the issue resolved.My light out light is on.Also when i turn on highbeams lights go completely out.Trying to figure out problem.Not sure if you can PM me so my Email is Bobbitim@twcny.rr.com