1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Laker Ship- 20,000 tons of brazilian salt-Midwest

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vicen, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Vicen

Vicen Junior Member
    from PA

I want to begin to make some contacts for serious buyers for the 2009-2010 winter season.

I want to find a buyer for a ship of salt coming into the great lakes. Final destination to be determined. Pricing to be finalized very soon. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

2. leon

leon Senior Member

salt south of the equator

1.Your only dealing with 17000 yards of salt depending on screened final size the of product and its purity

It is approximately 85 yards per covered gondola car as well based on 100 ton weights

I would be more worried about what the final freight bill plus the tariff, plus the fuel surcharge would be per ton even before you signed a contract with the supplier along with the guaranteed delivery date, and cargo insurance by you on the load even though it is low monetary value bulk commodity.

Are you dealing with the import agents in Albany?

You might as well bring it in and sell it on the spot market next winter as you have not offered the salinity content, purity and other things such as the MSDS specs and major buyers will not be interested in small amounts like this unless you specifically intent to bid in New York or Pennsylvania offering the tonnage as a whole to one buyer. And the bids are let out to include 125% of the amount bid as arule due to bad weather conditions.

You want to bring in Brazilian solar salt; the problem is the most if not all inland stock piles are being refilled by rail or existing dock contractors and will be refilled shortly.

You should be contacting the salt institute as much as I dislike the organization.

Any major stock pile is 5,000 tons plus such as those owned buy states and large municipalities. Anything larger is owned by the mine operators and importers.

American and Cargill Salt alone in New York have between 31 one stock piles in New York and PA and Morton Salt's Canadian Rock salt brings in salt from the Magdelan Islands in Quebec, and also from Painesville, Ohio to Ogdensburg, NY dock when needed.

There are not that many docks that can take salt easily unless they are dedicated bulk terminals for the major importers like Morton Salt or International Salt or Schoenberg Salt.
    Twenty thousand tons is not all that much especially for municipal contracts. rather than going abut this backwards why are you bringing salt in to the bathtubs instead of the Mississippi river and to Chicago and then east.

You will be money ahead establishing a salt co-op as I have mentioned in my previous threads or selling it on the spot market- who knows we may a have a WORSE WINTER SEASON NEXT YEAR.

3. hiranger

hiranger Member

One thing about I will tell you about Victor is that he can DELIVER. He helped me out this winter here in Peoria. He always could supply me with salt when needed unlike other suppliers around here. He is a good guy do deal with. Hey Victor! How you doing?

4. Vicen

Vicen Junior Member
    from PA

Chartering a Ship

Yes there are many details involved to a get a ship of salt from point A to Point B, Our customers do not worry about that, that is my company's responsibilty. :cool:

As far as salt quality; size of the crystal, moisture content ect...again we go for the best salt that is available. Spec sheets dont mean much to me, just a piece of papper, you have to fly down to your salt mine and inspect the salt with your own hands and eyes. For example several companies purchased large amounts of cheap salt from England that ended up being very fine and brown, many customers were'nt happy with it. So you have to consider price per ton vs quality also.

5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

So you find someone that can speak spanish to call the mine and order the salt, rent a boat, and have it dropped off. Unless your sailing around Somalia you should be good to go. Whats so hard about it?

Kidding, just kidding.

6. jasonjones

jasonjones Junior Member

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase 1,500 tons of salt.
    I have just started my search.
    I'm located in the Chicagoland area.
    When will you know your prices?
    I'm looking all around for the best price.
    I'm curious as to what you have to offer.
    I'm looking into possibly having a barge delivered from anywhere that is cheapest.

Thanks,

jj