1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lake Effect Snow Warning!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim Baden, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

Up tp 12 inches then more for saturday night and sunday and sunday nigt with winds of 30-40 mph.They say it's going to start snowing around 4am saturday morning.Have a great weekend,I sure am

2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

that would be ok with me
    The truck is gased up & the plows hooked up
    Just waiting to have a little fun

3. MLB

MLB Senior Member

hope that makes it down to us

NE Indiana:drinkup:

4. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

MLB

If you get it send it about 45 miles south on I-69..... We need some too! (At least let us salt!)

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Today: "Turning colder with snow developing midday. An inch or less accumulation near Buffalo, 2 to 4 inches over ski country. Early highs around 40 then temperatures dropping through the 30s. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph shifting to northwest. Chance of snow near 100 percent."

Sat Night: "Snow likely. Accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Brisk. Lows near 20. Northwest winds around 20 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.Very cold with bands of lake effect snow moving north. Accumulation around 2 inches north of Buffalo but a potential for 6 to 8 inches across the southtowns and ski country. Highs around 25. West winds 10 to 20 mph."

Sunday: "Chance of snow 80 percent.Lake effect snow moving south and tapering off. A few more inches likely. Windy. Lows in the upper teens. Chance of snow 80 percent."

I'm slightly ENE of Buffalo... Who knows what we will actually get... Good luck....

6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

2-4" will be nice.
    8-10" is too much.
    We need a night off anyway...

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

It's been a long time since I've felt overworked, (as far as the snow business goes). :(

8. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Just got back from the first run.About 3-4" on the ground with pretty good lake effect bursts dumpin' about 1" an hour here in geauga county oh.:eek:

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

WAKE UP ALL !................Hannibal NY Gettin' jammed on!
    About 5 inches overnite....More expected today ! Coffee
    brewing, truck warming up ! Ready to go play now !
    Have fun all if ya got any snow to play with !
    Buffalo, Roch. , Watertown guys any snow ?...geo

10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

sonjaab------> I received between 2-4" depending on the area (basically 8 driveways and 2 lots i plowed this morning) and finally got to use my plow these V plows are pretty cool.

Hey Got Grass? did u see all the guys plowing the 1" of snow in Meadow Lakes ? Must be nice to have so much money to burn in fuel. I got 3 calls saying all the neighbors were plowed and "we" weren't. I said let see who shows up when there is a foot of snow on the ground.

They are saying 3-6" for this evening so i hope it snows cause i wanna use my plow again.

11. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Earthscapes, where the heck was that 2-4? Didnt see more than 1" at 5am on my way home. Had to stay up so I could sleep all day for tonight.

I can't beleive guys were out pushing 1" of snow, dosnt make much sence... I received no calls, everyone knows I'll be there at 3" sometimes a bit less & when it really counts I'm the 1st 2nd 3rd & so on, there.

It's falling at 2" hr. now So I'm gearing up to head out. Plow everyone tonight & again by morning. 5-9" by morning. 1-3" tomarrow.

Hey, what happened with the lead I gave ya?
    Looks like thoes leaf cleanups I still have are gunna be waiting till spring. Customers not happy about that.

SonJab, how thoes wings treating ya?

12. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

4" on Northfield and 2" in Clarence Ctr. (had to plow the church and post office).

Yeah everybody i know in Clarence just called and said it's snowing like crazy.

We're going out at 2am not before. There is no way i am driving around in this stuff,,,just got back from the gas station normal 5 min. ride took 20 min. Plow them once, eat breakfast<wait for rush hour to end> then plow them again if we need to .

If you need anything CALL !!!!!!!!!!!

13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

2am sounds good. Roads are really sloppy here, Erie county sucks for plowing. I'll be out as I have some customers who have crazy hrs. Like 2 neighbors that both work at Delphi, another 1 who works at Harrison that get home between 2-3am. Thay paid for it..

Reminds me I have to cut more PVC up.. ran outta stakes for the 2nd time...

Your #'s in my cell. Hopefully I wont NEED to use it this winter.
    Keep mine handy too. I'm always up driving all over.

Good luck Mabey I'll see ya flying by later on.

14. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

lake effect

Hey you guys around the lakes are having all the fun

15. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Took the Fisher off yesterday. I guess around here we'll have to wait.:(

16. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Tim Baden,

Where in Mi are you?

We had the same forcast but as with alot of lake effect storms lately the winds are just not right and it misses us.

Did you get your 12"?

We got 2" Maybe on the grass, less than an inch on the cement.

So the plow sits cold and lonly.......waiting........still waiting......
    :(

17. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Lake Effect

Tonight the lake effect is a little farther north than usual.
    Just west of watertown,ny 10:00pm snowing about 2" per hour winds about 10-15mph.
    But hey this northern new york, up here we plan our childrens halloween costumes to go over a snow suit.:D

18. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

The weather guessers can kiss my you know what!!!

They started warning us along about Friday morning of all the snow we were going to get. Initial forcasts were for outrageous amounts of snow between friday night and monday morning. Well, Friday afternoon they started downgrading the forcasts bit by bit and by saturday night, the winds off the lake diddn't go just right and we had less than 1/2".:rolleyes:

Today (Sunday) it has snowed off and on though and I'm happy to say that there is just barely 2" on the pavement.:) Just enough to justify going out. I guess it's a good thing to have an easy night to start out with, we have a lot of new accounts and one new guy plowing for us, so we can figure it all out without having to wory about pushing 10" of snow.

Well, I hear the guy plowing the driveway next door, so I think I'll hit it.

:drinkup:

19. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

forcast here was for 4-7 at 6 pm figured id wait till morning, at 11 pm they changed it to 6-12 so i figured i better go plow one of my lots that is quite a pain with a lot of snow, ended up with like 7 or 8 overall. plowed all accounts this morning, picked up a couple new accounts cuz their guy diddnt show. finished about 10:30 still goin pretty good here, hope to have to hit em all again before bed. hope everyone had a dent free day. :drinkup:

had 1 guy come up to me while I was plowing and said " My dad wants me to shovel the driveway, Will you plow it for $15 bucks, is that enough?" Eh it was smallso i help the poor wretch......

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

YEA BABY !........Hannibal NY is gettin spanked ! Money
    falling from the sky...Gotta LOVE lake ontario 2 miles
    away! Just pumping that white gold out......
    Maybe I'm gonna plow and salt the bank twice today !

Tug Hill plateau near Watertown is gettin it too !
    My Alex Bay place up there is gettin some too.
    My bud is plowing my motel up there for me !

Any body else upstate NY gettin any ?.....geo