1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lake Effect Snow Characterisics?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE, Feb 10, 2003.

1. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

For those of you who get Lake effect snow, I was just curious. Does it have any particular characteristics? Such as wet, fluffy, etc... I've seen snow here in Northeastern Indiana twice this year that is almost like perfectly little round fertilizer balls. It comes down hard and fast, but never amounted to anything. Both times we got it we seemed to be on the very most outskirts of the lake effect snows. We've probably gotten this type before, but since I started plowing last year, I really pay a lot more attention to the weather than I ever did in the past. Just being curious...

Rick

2. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

I know what your talking about with the little fertilizer. We've had that too and it never amounted to anything. I don't think it has anything to do with lake effect snow. According to my mom that is caused by the snow falling from a greater height than normal or maybe it falls from a lower height :confused:

Anyways lake effect snow is always really fluffy. You can sneeze and it all goes away. Well not really but even when it is hovering around freezing lake effect will be quite powdery and a normal storm will be sopping wet slop. Also normal snow will not fall if the temperature is lower than about 20 degrees but we've had lake effect here when it was around 5 or lower. I'm no expert but that is what I found generally true.

3. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Rick,

Being in a lake effect area about 1 1/2 hours from you, every time we get lake effect, it is really light a fluffy. I would rather have 10 inches of lake effect than 4 inches of the heavy wet stuff. Most of what we have had this year has been lake effect, over 20 in. in Jan. alone.

John

4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Love that lake effect snow.... If anyone needs any help plowing we have 4 - 6 trucks available at any givin time..rate $$ is negotiable contact us at www.indysnowplowers.com

5. C&D LANDSCAPING

C&D LANDSCAPING Junior Member

I am right in the lake effect region here in Ontario Canada and I can tell you one thing the lake effect snow is not always light and fluffy. It it can vary from light and fluffy to hard as concrete, depending on temp's and wind conditions.

Corey

6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I live about 2 hours south of Corey and let me tell you he is right about lake effect snow, atleast for this area.

7. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Living right in the heaviest lake effect area in the US let me tell you ,lake effect snow can vary greatly depending on temperature, here on the tug hill we average 150-200 inches per season mostly lake effect

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

AH ! Lake effect........I live 2 miles south of Lake
    Ontario. Man when it comes its blasting ! Love
    gettin' paid per push........Just because of it !
    I won't do a set price per winter !
    It is usually light and fluffy when it comes north
    from the lake, if it comes from the south and the
    temp. is above freezing its wet and heavy.......

Funny tho my other place in Alexandria Bay NY..
    right along the St. Lawrence river the snow blows
    right over
    us south to Watertown and the Tug hill plateau !
    WE are lucky up there to get enough to plow !
    IN Alex. Bay !
    The deer hunters LOVE it cuz the corn lots barely
    have a crust so theres LOTS of food...No chasing
    thru the woods to kill dinner !

Last edited: Feb 10, 2003
  9. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

10. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

11. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I've seen all different types of lake effect but it's usually light and fluffy. Easy to plow. Plow banks don't get that big. We've been getting snow almost everyday for the past four weeks and most of it has been lake snow.

12. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Silver dollar flakes. most times they are huge flakes which add up really fast. The other thing is you can have 5" on the ground, wait 4-5 hours and you will now have 2-3 from it settling.

Heck I can count the number of times this winter we had a heavy wet snow..........on one finger.......LOL and it was only 1". But man it ws heavier than 4-5" of fluff. The only thing though with the fluffy stuff is you can not run very fast at all across the lot or you will cause a white out as it flies over your blade and truck. The drifting is pretty cool though. I visited my dad this afternoon and he had a 4-5' drift across his drive by his garage door. Some days you can not tell if it is snowing or just blowing.

Then, only in lake effect areas, as we drove home today it was snowing like crazy and the sun was out.:D :cool: