1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lake effect pounding

Discussion in 'Weather' started by woodsman, Dec 1, 2010.

1. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Right now all points south of Buffalo,NY it is a dismal nightmare trying to drive anywhere.!

Lake effect is hammering down with over 2" an hour and it's been going on since 2pm. Traffic is at a total stand still... check www.nittec.org cameras

2. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

The band is only 12 miles wide. Those in it though are getting hit hard. I90 has been a standstill most of the evening.

3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

typical lake effect band... most of the cameras show clear, but a few where the snow is are whiteout

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

You guys are STILL getting that same band and its 9AM next day! The winds are SWW keeping off our lakeshore but its supposed to change wind direction later to WNW and that will change everything, but we'll see.

5. salted

salted Junior Member
    from MI

Over here in Southwest lower MI, i'm feeling pretty jealous.

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

My girlfriend works for a large commercial construction outfit that is doing a job at Mercy Hospital in Buffalo. One of their construction managers emailed her these pics this morning...

Picture_224.jpg

Picture_225.jpg

Picture_226.jpg

Picture_227.jpg

7. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I am going to have to report that post as harassment. Cruel... just plain cruel

8. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Spent last night driving around Depew/Lancaster/West Seneca. It was a disaster. Side roads completely closed off, cars with 3 ft of snow on them in the middle of the road. I did not see one plow truck that was succesfully plowing a driveway or lot. They could barely make one pass, which has rendered the smaller parking lots basically impassible. At the Target on Transit, they had 4 loaders and a bulldozer trying to keep the lot open. The snow banks on the sides of the road are half way up the windows of my truck. I know the company thats plowing Walmart Supercenter of Lancaster and they can't keep fuel in their 2 loaders that have been running non stop for days. Plows are nearly useless down there, only loaders and skids can get anything done. They are plowing the sidestreets with loaders because the trucks can't fit through south buffalo with all the stuck cars. Also, they just cleared the thruway this morning of 200 stuck cars and trucks. They had to pull them all out one at a time. What a mess.

9. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

8 days later and it continues this is When i got home last night and when i got up this morning and the snow continues..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

11. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

We do buildings all over wny, including 3 in orchard park and 3 cheektowaga and one in lancaster. OP got about 2 feet and lancaster was just under 4 feet. Will get pics up soon but it was one hell of a storm. Only a few days after we got hit again in amherst, williamsville, getzville, east amherst and lockport. Is it summer yet?