1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lag on lift

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by affekonig, Dec 4, 2008.

1. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I went out last night and was having some intermitant problems with the plow lagging on lift. I'll hit the joystick to raise it, the motor will run for a second, then the plow will lift. It seems like the motor is running with no restriction until it runs for a second and starts to lift. It did it for a bit, so I stopped and checked the fluid, topped it off (wasn't really low), and it worked fine for a few tests then started doing it again. I just put in the new lift ram seals and changed the fluid, but I think it did it before that. I'm not sure becuase it's intermitant and I haven't really used this plow before. Any ideas?
  2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Recheck your fluid level, might have burped out some air:drinkup:
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I should have mentioned, but I checked it a couple times. I think I repeated this process 3 or 4 times last night, and I was just out on a work-out-the-bugs run.
  4. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

if the fluid is ok, then i would look at your cable connections (special attention to the grounds) if you have a bad ground, it will act the way you are describing. if cables check out ok I would assume pump gears are going. JMO
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, my brand new boss will do that on occassion. But I haven't checked the fluid yet.
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Are you sure that its not because the lift cylinder is collapsing fully and it just has to take up the slack in the chain before it lifts the blade?
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

umm, is this a unimount? or ultra?

if its an ultra have you checked the filter to see if it fell off...common problem
  8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Forgot that too: it's a unimount.

Crash935 - it's like that's what's happening, but that isn't happening. The lift ram isn't going all the way down (because of the slack in the chain), but the pump/motor is acting like it is.