1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of snow in Northeast...due to global warming?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by mkwl, Jan 1, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What do you think? Do you think the severe lack of snow (especially in the tri-state area) in the northeast is a result of global warming? I sure think so, when it's 56 degrees in January, something's severely wrong!:angry: We haven't had a single day with highs below freezing since NOVEMBER!:cry: I'm starting to wonder if it'll snow at all in the northeast, let along NJ! I'm about as conservative as they come, a die hard supporter of President G.W. Bush, but after watching Gore's movie "An inconvenient truth", I'm seriously thinking this really warm weather is due to global warming!:dizzy: :cry: What do you think?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Then how do they explain all the snow in the West? I've got a pile of salt that needs to be taken with Al Gore.

And how could President Bush be responsible for any global warming after only six years?

I've never seen the movie and have no intention of seeing someone's imagination being passed off as a documentary.
  3. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Mick- I see your point, and thought the EXACT same think as you before I saw the movie...it's a somewhat political movie, but all things aside, it does have irreputable numbers of frighteningly-high levels of CO2 and other gasses in the air contributing to global warming.

JET- Interesting reading, thanks for bringing that up!:waving:
  5. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I watched a show about this a month ago and global warming has decreased instead of increased in th elast 100 years.

6. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Read michael crightons book state of fear, it's about global warming. There are some very interesting facts there. We all (plow people) seem to have extra time on uor hands! :angry:
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I saw the 2 week long range forecast last night and it called for mild temps to continue through mid January. There is not precedent in recorded history for the warm temps we are having now in the northeast and upper midwest the weather lady said. I know I can't remember seeing it this warm up there at this time of year.
    El nino hasn't even kick in yet. El nino is suppose to become moderate in January and February she said.
  8. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Ok the world has been around for how long? A couple hundred years, no thats how long we have recorded history. The world has been around a lot longer than man and just a few hundred years of record does not show what the planet is doing. Global warming is a joke. Last thing I heard was that cows were now believed to be the leading cause of gas emission from their FARTS!
  9. soulrider1979

soulrider1979 Junior Member

Actually to tell you the truth, the amazingly huge cow farms do contribute a little, but what has been the real kicker is the huge airports that we have. They are like little heat islands that warm up all the major cities!
  10. Charles

That's why I said recorded history:rolleyes:
    The USA has been warming on average for the past 15 to 20 years so something is going on.
    Cycle or whatever we are warming up--average wise
    Ya the earth has been here 4 to 6 billion years. There is no telling how many extinctions of living things there has been in that time. We know of only one-- the Dinosaurs
  11. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Winter of 1980

Does anyone remember when the Olympics were in upstate NY in 1980 and there was no snow? They Had to make snow to have the Olympics!!I remember it well.I'm sure there is global warming and it's happening but it's not happening over the coarse of 1 summer. So I guess what I'm saying is Chill, let nature take it's coarse. No one complains when it snows in OCT but Lord if it don't snow in Dec, Katie bar the door!
  12. snyps

snyps Senior Member

As much technology that we have, we still know so little how things work. It seems like there has been no major invention like the light bulb, or electricty in our lives. The owner of BP had an interveiw in Playboy a few months ago and he was talking how we probally only have 1/2 of the worlds oil reserves left. He said that we have less then 100 years left of oil at this rate, I wonder what will happen at that point.
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My very first year plowing was 1988. We had 4 plowable snow falls. Since then we have had 14-23 every year with the exception of one year and that was 11 times. You just get years like these.
  14. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Yesterday, 1/1/2007 in LAKE ODESSA, MI
    High Temperature:
    Actual: 47°F
    Average: 30°F
    Record: 56°F in 1897 <------------ Gee then my your ideas,, global warming must of been worst in the late 1800's?

I believe that most of the global warming has accrued because of all the hot air coming out of Al Gores mouth! When he started this idea he said the world would end in 20 years,,, well we got a bout 9 years left according to that dip-****,,,,,Oh yeah what did he major in in college and what makes him smarter that all the scientist, that disagree with him?

Low Temperature:
    Actual: 29°F
    Average: 17°F
    Record: -15°F in 1968
    Actual: 0.08 in
  15. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Never Mind
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  16. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Global warming just means a longer cutting season for grass accounts.

Less wear and tear on the trucks and allows the earth a longer period of time to (as Al Gore puts it) breathe.

Less snow = greener landscapes = less CO2 = happy dance come a few winters from now.

Its laughable when a certain area is warmer than another.....GLOBAL WARMING....yet one province over its getting hammered with snow and is minus 600 degrees.

I'll start calling it State warming or Provincial warming.
  17. Charles

When it comes to global warming you have to go by averages and extremes. Yearly average. 5 year averages etc. You are still going to have spikes in temps
  18. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

This Bs

this sucks it is going to be hot all week when the hell is it going to get cold we need snow hear in nj i think its not going to snow this year like it did 1997 this sucks
  19. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

So Guys Tell Me What Do You Think Will It Every Snow Hear In Nj
  20. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

as for the weather...its an astronomical fact that we are and have been for about decade closer to the sun as the earths orbit is not constant but variable, due in part to the fact that our sun is also variable and is currently also outputting more energy as well.

Some folks are tying this in with elnino as awell....ask me life is variable and as such we have to deal with odd weather...
    last time we were this close to the sun was 1938 or 34 and temp on christmass was a record setting 68.

an odd item of note as well is that recent studies have shown that jupiter...the star that almost was has been radiating more measured energy each year, making some believe that at its current rate jupiter could become a star...and our system a binary system, in about 100 million years or so.

as for Gore if he would shut his mouth then the temp would go down a few degrees