1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of snow in central KY

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LexLawn, Feb 9, 2015.

1. LexLawn

LexLawn Junior Member

I must say that I'm envious of the amount of snow the N east has been getting this year. I decided to go all in this year and add snow removal to my line of services and here in central KY, we aren't seeing anything that amounts to much snow wise. Everyone was saying that we were in for a nasty winter in KY but I've only dropped a blade once all winter.
  2. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

For people like you and I, snow removal is a long term investment. The good news is you should be charging double the guys in the snow belt. My average snow falls over 10 years is 6 events per year, that includes some years with zero. My highest has been 16 events. Iceing treatments can average 4 to 6.

I pro-rate all plows over 10 yrs. 2 of the 3 trucks are snow only. The killer is insurance, same bill no matter what. Hard to keep labors for sidewalks due to infrequency of snow.

Just the life in low snow states. In the good years you got to save the money for the bad years!
  3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Just amazing how much the weather changes over 250 miles. We've pushed more than that this month alone here. Even my guys in southern OH have done 3 pushes, and about 10 salt apps.

I hope you weren't expecting to make a landfall on snow work!
  4. LexLawn

LexLawn Junior Member

I stay very busy 9-10mo per year with mowing and turf services but hope to utilize my plow in the upcoming seasons. We've been primarily doing ice melt applications at all my accounts this season which has been profitable but would really like to add that snow removal money to my bottom line!! Thanks for the reply. All the best
  5. LexLawn

LexLawn Junior Member

What a difference 80 miles north of me makes. I'm heading to Florida with my family on Wednesday and have my crew on call should we get any snow. I was thinking about sending a plow rig to Boston to sub out services for my cousin who lives there.