1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lack of salt ...equals slip and falls...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turf Commando, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Seems most business either are cutting back on applications or refusing it all together ...
    Was out at local Mobil station getting Hot chocolate and watched an elederly man take quite the fall near the entrance, he was disoriented and obviously hurt.....What's cheaper salting and maintaining a business or getting one hell of a lawsuit makes you wonder....?...:dizzy:

2. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I just had a appt building that houses mrd and elderly call me and said not to salt them anymore because its to much money. They now have a tenet that is mrd out throwing salt by hand .I have a contract with them and it states salt lot now im going to have to change it so they cant hold me to any mishaps. Its hard to believe sometimes.

3. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

I do 3 different fast food franchises, all are no salt unless requested, actually had a slip and fall at one of them last year and their insurance company refused the claim of the person that fell, I think that its not a sure thing for a lawsuit anymore, its winter after all it going to be snowy. Some salting is good, but alot of the contractors around here go overboard with the salt in my opinion.

4. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

Things have changed. Two years ago had a person fall and break an arm at a lot we plow. Attorneys came back and said when it snow there is a possibility that you could fall, and the lot was plowed. If we hadn't plowed the lot then the outcome may have been different

5. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

It is all on timing. If you don't plow 3" and you are getting 8" is it your fault? no. But if you get 3" and you haven't plowed the snow for a few hours after it stopped snowing you may have a problem.

I hope you have that in writing. If you do then it is totally the property owners responsibility you will be cleared of any wrong dueing. If you don't have that in writing then the liability falls on you (the contractor)

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

The last 2 posters are correct.

2 years ago we had a slip and fall at a strip mall.

My insurance company refused the lawsuit as we did everything we were supposed to.

We were onsite within 5 minutes of a phone call. We were only called the one time.

Thursday we had a slip and fall at another strip mall. The gal broke her leg. The property owner, 2 days before, gave my phone number to another property owner that needed someone to salt a different lot.

This means that my property owner knows I salt parking lots, yet didn't call to have his own lot salted.

I am not responsible, nor will I be responsible.

Some of you guys either don't have insurance, or go overboard about the threat of lawsuits.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How does a ins. co. refuse a lawsuit?

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

What, who slips in 8" of snow? What will happen? They complain about tripping on the snow and falling into an 8" blanket? :dizzy:

Not saying you are not responsible but just follow your contract and remind them if need be of what it says!

If you plow and are required to salt than salt...if you are required to salt anything below your plow trigger than salt it...if you are not there to take care of either of those responsibilities than expect to be in trouble sooner or later.

9. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

one of my national franchise commercial accounts is now also telling me I will call you when we need salt. Ive argued with the guy for weeks that there is a reason why I am a professional and I know what I am doing. Still insists he will call when he wants salt. Yesterday they almost had a slip and fall and about 6 complaints. The manager told an employee who works there that I know that he thought it would have melted.... even if it did melt it would have froze as we have had temps. below freezing for the last 2 weeks..... i understand people want to maximize profits/salaries but what looks worse if you are a general manager, spending a bit more money on maintenance/property management or a law suit??? seems like a no brainer to me....

10. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

They think their free in the negligence aspect, and it gets forwarded to property owners insurance. Whom may take other insurer to court.

11. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

The interesting thing about this particular event was the parking lot was clear (BLACK ASPHALT) except for the glaze, the workers salted the entrance to prevent any further accidents...

12. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

You are right I was just explaining the different cenerio's. I do 3 pharmacies and it makes me crazy to see the older people getting out of their cars when it is snowing like crazy. What makes me even more nuts is 2 of the 3 have drive throughs :cry:

13. D DRUMS LLC

D DRUMS LLC Junior Member

Ahh to salt or not to salt when in doubt salt it out.we salt after every plowing.we stoped playing that game i call you if i need salting. Then you have to go back out right in the middle of somthing.salt and its done and over with .they have a nice clean parking lot down to pavement.makes every one elses look bad.my places do not want the risk of some one falling over the price of a little salt.just do it.

14. D DRUMS LLC

D DRUMS LLC Junior Member

Ps. Just wondering what you guys are paying for a ton of salt. Here it is $120.00 per ton loaded.

15. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

Personally I think most of these people are just looking to sue and make a quick buck if you salt or not, if it's snowing you expect it's going to be slippery you don't have to be a rocket sciencist to figure that out. Most of the slip and fall lawsuits are plain stupid, why should anyone have to pay because your clumsy or too stupid to figure out that ice or snow might be slick.

16. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

You are getting ripped off. Are you getting it in Hartford?

17. getoffroad

getoffroad Junior Member
    from Mass

I get sand 60% / salt 40% at $45 ton loaded here.

18. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

one of my no salt accounts I got was because of abuse by the former contractor, regarding salt usage. I see guys around here spreading salt in late March early April after small spring storms that would melt off on there own, so it pisses the owners off and that's why they go to the "I will call you" scenario. Yeah we like to make money on salting too, but I respect the owners decision to save money were they can , just as I try to find ways to save in my business.

19. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I have the same few contracts as I did last year. Most of them wanted the "will call" for salt this year, same amount as last year. By this time last year I was starting on my 4th skid, this year I just unwrapped the 2nd. All of them say business is down, so they are cutting costs wherever they can. Might cost them more in long run, but I guess it's a gamble they are willing to take.

20. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah i never understand why businesses try to cut out on salt :/

We had to have a storage center, 7 of them, resign their contract because they told us after the first 1.5" storm that we shouldnt be on site at anything less than 2".

They want NO salt under 2" .. prop manager of all 7 places has yet to return my call, like they say, 90% of slip and falls occur within the first 2" of a storm.