1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Labor Ready Boston MA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ducaticorse, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Anyone have any experience with this outfit? I am adding two maybe three more people to my op for shoveling and snow blowing only. I was wondering if anyone had experiences with the help they provide.

The pricing is reasonable especially since they take care of all payroll related expenses, taxes etc. I like the idea of sending in a "work order" for the amount of bodies I need prior to the storm. They are also very close so I can pick up at their office. And they guarantee workers to be available.

I am done with CL posting. The people I get there are x union, and throw **** fits about working for less than 30 an hour. The others are just not reliable, I also get hate mail from the nut jobs too. Not to mention they all want cash, and I cant write any of that off.

Thanks in advance.

2. terraventure

terraventure Member

We used them out of Portsmouth NH a few years ago and they were ok. Don't expect incredible workers. We got a lot of drunks.

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I absolutely hate getting these ex union people demanding $30+ (but usually $45 hr.) per hour for plowing snow. Then when you say no, they act like I'm some kind of scum bag because I can't afford what the blood sucking unions demand. I had one exunion guy come in here and tell me "yea I'm on unemployment, so you'll have to employ my brother, and then just give me the check." Are you kidding me? Try explaining that one to the state...

Almost ALL of the equipment operators that apply are laid off from private highway and bridge contractors around here for the winter, who are all union... It makes it tough.

But on to labor ready... I've been wanting to try them out for awhile now. I think about it for landscaping, and sometimes for shoveling. I've heard so many mixed things, one guy tells me it works out well and he uses them all the time. He even told me he has like some of the guys so much, he hired them himself.

But for just as many good stories, I've heard some pretty bad ones. And not even just like "he didn't work well", I'm talking major issues. One guy told me his friend had a labor ready employee overdose on heroin right on site in someones residential yard. Of course, we all know how these "a friend of mine" stories can sometimes be, so take it how you will.

If you do end up trying it, let us know how it works out. I'd be very interested to see as I have an office pretty close to me in MA as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just pull the body into the street and said it was there when you pulled up/

5. ducaticorse

from we

I've heard the mixed reviews too.

And yes, I assume you get drunks and druggies, which is a specific point I am going to discuss with the office. These guys are going to be using my blowers and snow plow shovels. I plan on having a supervisor with them, but I'd I'd loose it if one of them took off and hawked one of my new blowers for a nickel of H. As for od'ing in a front yard? Pull him out to the street corner and call the cops..... But I'm hoping it will be a positive experience.

I signed up for an account with them this week. I will let you now how it goes next storm.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Ive used them in Maine when we have an extended storm and I need more bodies to relieve the help... its a crap shoot... sometime they're ok and work well and some times they're not... good thing is , if they are a dud you can tell right away) you can send them back with in so many hours and not be charged and they'll send another worker out to replace the dud

7. ducaticorse

from we

LOL, you just beat me to that one!

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Agreed, I've used them before too. Its a crap shoot. Its just like hiring and weeding out the initial batch. You have to call in the morning, though. Despite what they say, you won't get extra help in the afternoon or at night.

9. Jim74

Jim74 Member

Contractors who employ people to plow for them for the city of Boston pay $35 an hour so if a "union" guy wants 30 it's a bargain, typical ridiculous comments from people with so much union experience. There are a whole bunch of people outside the Somerville Home Depot, they don't hold union cards or green cards for that matter, right up your alley. In case it's not obvious union crane operator didn't appreciate the union jab.

10. ducaticorse

from we

Jim, although I don't know who you are, you sound like a swell guy. But I'm still not paying 30 an hour to a shovelor. There is a tiny difference between operating a crane and shoveling snow.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a city contract,most of the time you have to pay prevailing wages even to non union workers. And if this what Labor ready is saying, don't forget they are quoting and taxes and their fee into it.

12. ducaticorse

from we

You are right on city contracts... And good luck getting one of those jobs. Labor ready is a solid HALF that rate with all taxes and comp taken care of. Basically, if they are breathing, able to walk, and follow the most rudimentary directions, it's not a bad deal.

13. Jim74

Jim74 Member

I wouldn't pay 30 an hour either for a shoveler. I'm trying not to stereotype but there was a labor ready right next to the shop I work at in Southie and I couldn't tell the difference between the line at the methadone clinic and labor ready, try the VA for people just getting out of the service. What if you get a 24 hour storm and halfway through they want to stop does labor ready guarantee that the guys will keep working or they can get replacements at 2AM.

14. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

ive worked with labor ready in maine as well...total crapshoot. Ive had guys completely hammered, reeking of booze pretty much unable to work. I also worked with 2 guys this summer who were ok...as long as you stay on them they did ok. I'm sure for shoveling they would be fine, just expect constant breaks and don't be surprised if they show up completely unprepared/underdressed for the job.

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

same goes for the one in Waltham. I worked across the street from that one and used to watch drug deals go down on a daily basis, then they'd go inside and check for work.

16. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Labor ready pays there guys all the same basically you will be charged around $16 or so an hr that includes all the fees, taxes, workers comp etc, and the guy that works for labor ready will get $8hr or so depending where you live and cost of living.