1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Labor cost to wire plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jdmoe, Sep 26, 2011.

1. jdmoe

jdmoe Junior Member

Bought a new truck (06 Dodge Megacab) and pulled the plow off the old truck (97 Chevy). I've already purchased all necessary mounts, wiring, etc to get it on the new truck. I can mount the plow, but need help the wiring.

Two estimates for wiring have been $120 and $435. ???

What should this cost? Again, it's labor only as I have all the necessary parts.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I think I payed 500 for everything (mounting, wiring, a free beer(not really))
  3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I typically get $300 when the customer buys the parts from me,thats the entire install,mounts+wiring,your lower quote sounds pretty fair for a dealer or reputable shop,i've fixed more wiring "issues" from poor installs from auto repair shops than you can shake a stick at,that being said,if your mechanically inclined enough to do the mount,i would go to the Western web site and just download the wiring instructions,read thru them good,you may be surprised,follow them closely and take your time,it's not that hard,don't be intimidated by "splicing" either,thats easier than routing the wires for a nice clean install.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Notice these labor costs are when you buy from the installer, bringing your own stuff the labor cost might not be discounted as they often are with a purchase. That's how it is in my shop. I'd worry about $12O that's awful cheap for a experienced shop. It isn't rocket science but it does take time to do properly.

If you do it yourself remember "Shortcut" is an old Indian word for "It will break when you least need it to and then many times its FUBAR"

FUBAR another old Indian word meaning F(*& Up Beyond All Repair
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Typically it's about four hours work if the plow is built and configured properly so $400 at a profesional shop is not unresonable. I agree that $120 is questionable! When that guy realizes how much work it is he is not going to do a good job. I don't remember any problems with the Dodge but I can tell you that the new GMs can be a pain to wire. Dealerships allow two hours book rate to change the driver's side headlamp bulb because it is so hard to get at! They don't even talk about how to do it in the owner's manual, they only discuss the passanger side. You can get at the wires with some gentle persuasion but GM says you have to remove the battery, the battery tray, then the washer fluid bottle and so on, then you have to put it all back. This kind of snag can take time. Take it to somone who has done a few before. Experience is important here.

Also, make sure you check the plow configuration against the height of the new truck. GMs are nutoriously low and Dodges are higher. I bet you will have to switch the configuation of the plow or your A-frame will not be parallel to the ground and this will cause the cutting edge to wear round. There are four configuration options on most Westerns and three on the smaller models. If your plow is a V it is even more important as there is yet another fine adjustment on the A-frame. Old Vs had a sliding wedge while the newer ones have three optional holes to fine tune the A-frame parallel to the ground. Vs will wear in the centre and on the outside edges if they are not configured carefully.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  6. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

At 3 in the morning you lose your headlights and it only turns right, the $300 difference won't seem important. I would agree read the instructions from western and see how comfortable you are. At least if you have problems you may have an idea where to tart.
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, and have the time to do it right then do it yourself. Of course you will need the tools. The instructions are quite good and it's not rocket science. The first one alwasy takes longer but if you do it yourself you know there are no cut corners, that is, as long as you are not a hack yourself. Only you know if you have the skill to tackle this on your own. Of course you always have us here to answer your questions if you get stuck.
  8. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

300 to 500 is the going rate