1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

L8000 Alternator

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by staley52, Nov 7, 2003.

1. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I just replaced the alternator on a 1985? L8000 ford/IH I6,alison and the only way it will charge is to full field the alternator is there a fuse in the field wire somewhere?

2. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Did you check or replace the regulator? It is external from the alternator and is normally mounted on the firewall. You can find it on the passenger side near where the heater hoses pass through the wall to the heater core. Every Louisville that I have had used an external regulator regardless of the type of engine or type of truck configuration.
    Good luck. Jake.

3. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I replaced the reg twice and I compared wire outputs on this l8000 to a l8000 with no problems and power and grounds match but you still have to full field the alt to get it to charge but I thought that when you full field the alt you only have to do it for a second and after that it energizes it self this one it only charges if you keep it full fielded?

4. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

I never came across a situation where I needed to full field an alternator. I did read in a posting about someone doing that and I do remember that it was only done for a second for the charging process to initiate. Perhaps you have a defective alternator. May need to try a replacement. Jake.