1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

L70 loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Gentleman your opinions please... How would a Volvo L70 with a 14' box work for plowing 8-12 acres..... I know I might need another but just curious as to the power and speed of this unit?

Thanks
    Mike

2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

volvo's tend to be really light. personally i didnt like my experience. I rented one two years ago while we were doing an engine rebuild on my own. I had a J.D. 544E, was told an L70 would be more than enough but it wasn't. Top end speed was nice but when you're plowing speed means nothing. My 1974 Trojan 1700 out pushed that 2006 L70.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks redman... anyone else got an opinion or one to look for that might be better suited for my needs?

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

How about a Hyundai 720-3 seems like a pretty decent loader just looking for someones input first hand on what they're like...... Or can you tell me what you used (like redman did) and if you liked it or not?

Thanks
    Mike

5. GK Snow Removal

GK Snow Removal Member

What is you use a CASE i have 2

6. redman6565

I have a CASE 621, J.D. 544E, Trojan 1700, Dresser 530C and Kawasaki 90z-III and i love them all. The saki is a 5-yarder and is the workhorse. the dresser is a 4-yarder. the CASE and J.D. are both 2 yrd machines, so they are comparible. CASE is an '88, J.D. is an '89, and the J.D. outpushes the CASE and handles ice a lot better. The trojan is just a hunk of steel that just won't die haha

7. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Redman, what size box do you run on your JD? I was thinking about a similar year 544 anything special to look for or avoid.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Hyundai 740 we run, with a 14' Protec, Could of bought a 16' according to Protec, works well (its a 2007 though), we looked at a 730, but the mechanic I was talking to said the things are dogs & take forever to get up to speed. For the money the hyudai was a good deal, couldn't touch an American machine for even 20K more. We only do snow with it though. I have seen older units around more now, the dealer has delt with them for a while, they seem to be working. . They don't stock any 720's here.

9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

In the past 3 yrs. we ran everything from the L35, L60, and L70 Volvo's. All worked great and pushed excellent. The L35 amazed me the most, just kept going and going. Before the Volvo I had a
    JD 544G tc. I'll agree with Redman, the Deere out pushed the Volvo, but for comfort and solid feel; the Volvo wins.

10. redman6565

16 footers.