1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate lawns, Feb 3, 2003.

1. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if any of you guys have these and how they work? Do you get the bail mount? Are they bright?

Ultimate Lawns and More,
  2. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

3. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Some of the guys that I work with have gone to these (Law Enforcement) and they are really bright. Not that bad during the day, but at night they really stand out. Only thing is, they are expensive. I have a strobe in my dash on my squad car, and have had it for two years, and have never had a problem, and it is plenty bright.

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

How well can you see the LEDs at an angle?
  5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Ultimate lawns-

i bought that set from that ebay user in the summer and they work great. They're brite as hell at night and have a bunch of flash patterns.

I'm going to take them off of my ford and put them on my toyota.

6. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

If you are facing the vehicle, or off to the side, you will see the LED. If you are side by side, then you will not see it. I want to get some LED's for my squad, you can never have enough lights, but I am pretty happy with my strobe that I have, and can get them for $75 to $100 less than the LED. They have come out with full light bars with LED, have not seen any in person yet, but I bet they are nice.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Stephen, the Whelen LEDs I have are fairly bright to about 30 degrees off center, then they start to fade out. They've got a dispersing lens on them that allows this, the early ones didn't have them. They were barely visible much off center.
  8. nben

nben Senior Member

I second what Pelican said. I have 4 LED's in my new Whelen bar and like them, but they do start to fade as you veiw them from the side. We also have LED tailights on our newest Wells Cargo trailer. So far, so good. 100,000 hour bulb life!:nod:
  9. GVLawnCare

GVLawnCare Junior Member

I think LED's are the cats meow. The thing i like the best about them is the bulb life. Think about it, even if one of the LED's does go out, there are about 40 left, dpending on the size of the light head. The other thing is they draw far less power than a strobe or halogen warning light. This is a relatively good advantage due to the fact that plowtrucks have enough amperage draw already with a pump, heater, headlights, etc.. The only setback i see, is that it is not visible from all 4 sides like a roof top light, but if you are using it as part of a package, should work great. As far as brightness, I dont think they are quite as bright as a strobe, But plenty bright enough. Overall, I think you will see many more LED's on vehicles because of their benefits. Just my opinions, as always. I would buy them! Happy Plowing......MATT
  10. Ultimate,

Would you hard wire this kit into battery or do you need a seperate power supply box like some I have seen? Why 2 lights and not 4 in this kit? 2 for front and 2 for back window.

Bob V
  11. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey bob v,
    These are hard wire to the battery. I only want 2 cause I only need 2. I Might mount them on my rear salt spreader. The only thing I dont like about LEDs, Is they dont show up as good as rotators or strobes in snow. Rotators show up the best in snow.

Ultimate Lawns and More,
  12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Bringing this back up, I have a few questions about the North American Signal self-contained LED Heads. I wanted something small, didnt want to have to mess with a power supply and cables etc. Has anyone used or seen these in use? I talked to my dealer the other day, and tried them running off the batttery, but it was the middle of the day. Is NASig a reputable company? and you you think that they would be worth the $55 ea, or should I rethink this approach? Thanks guys!

Link to product

13. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

LED's are great, I have them on the back deck of my work car,
    along with hidden strobe in the tailights.

They usually come with a flasher that has multiple patterns which work very well. most of the flashers have one mode that allows
    it to randomly go through all the different patterns.

It is possible to wire them to any standard flasher, or use them
    to replace OEM turn/brake lights.

Word of caution, for some reason the blue LED's are very expensive (Canadian friends). They are pretty much directional only.
  14. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

One thing to consider is during a heavy snow fall the rotating mirror beacons stand out the best, as the beam is focused.
  15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Snowy, I don't know much about the company, but that is a decent price for the product. The best price I've found on Whelen in the same size is $58, they have more flash selections to choose from but the lights can't be linked in an alternating pattern like the North Americans. If you're using the lights in a pair, I think North American would be the way to go.
  16. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

towards the end of this season, i mounted 2 whelen 500 LED's to the back of my plow truck. They were as bright as the strobe and showed up well in daylight.

the 500 whelen led I have is a surface mount (just drill two small holes), has a +- wire and has 14 different patterns. Flasher built in, so you can add several on one power feed, and they will flash together.

very nice light. about $65 a piece.
  17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the input.
    I've started working on my new Headache rack and will install the NASig LED strobes recessed in the tool box when I finish. It should look pretty good, but not be too excessive.